Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA 890GPA-UD3H external sata help

GA 890GPA-UD3H external sata help
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:01:15 am »
Hello all. I hope someone can help me as I am a newbie with computers and something is wrong!
I built a HTPC. I am using a GA 890GPA-UD3H (2.1) motherboard. My case is a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced. It has an external SATA drive. I plugged an HDD into it and nothing. It feels like it's running and its getting warm. Is there something I need to change in the BIOS? When I go into Disk Management its not showing up. It may not be a motherboard issue, but that's where I'm starting. Please don't use advanced terminology because I;m a beginner. I really appreciate any help you may be able to give me. Also, if you need any other info, please let me know. Thank you so much if you can help!

Christoph

Re: GA 890GPA-UD3H external sata help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:31 am »
you gonna have to change in bios

that port to AHCI that you have to know what port is plugged to

I would use ports sata II (white ones) to plug the external Esata port you have on top of your case and set this ports in bios to AHCI, you gonna have just 3 options that are IDE, SATA or AHCI

AHCI is the one that can handle Plug And Play

babdi

• Future is Overclocking and is free
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:01:57 am »
Where does your external sata port connect in the motherboard. There are 3 white and 1 blue connectors. It should be connected to white. The blue is eSATA
Phenom II,x4,3.5 Ghz, OC 4.218 Stable
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H rev 2.1
RAM 1600 GSkill-RiPjaws ,9-9-9-24,1.5 V, 16GB
MSI 460 GTX, 1GB
Seagate 320 GB HDD AHCI mode
H70 push pull coolar
Corsair HX750 W PSU
M59 NZXT case

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »
Ok, here is what happened. I have my regualr computer in my office with hard drives in an enclosure. I tried moviing one on the HTPC. I could feel it get warm and spin but the computer never picked it up. I tried changing everything like you said, and what it said in the book. When I unplugged it, I swear I smelled a burnt smell. I tried putting it back in y original computer and it never picked it up. So I tried another, same thing. Same burnt smell and everything. I don't think these hard drives should be getting as hot as they are. They worked fine in my regular computer, but not in this thing. I can try taking pictures tonight of my set up when I get home and screen shots of the BIOS as I work, but I don't know. Could the motherboard be giving too much power and burning them up? Sorry for so many questions. I am a total newbie and completely lost. Again, I really appreciate any help.

Christoph

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:29 pm »
how many SATA II ports do you have? and take some screenshots of the bios

we'll get to a solution

Christoph

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
did you install the sata II driver?