Official GIGABYTE Forum

Quad core only showing 2 cores - WHY?

Quad core only showing 2 cores - WHY?
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:31 am »
I am trying several temp monitoring programs and each only shows 2 core temps while I am running a Phenom 965 x4 processor. Shouldn't I see 4 core temps listed? I selected allow unlocking in the bios which I thought would allow the cores to become independent. IF wrong what can I do to get all 4 cores to show up? One is CPUID hardware monitor and it recognizes the processor but only shows 2 temps. Secondly, I am using a H50 water cooler so does anyone know what the idle temp (or if just cruising the web, etc.) temp should be and the max should be. I am currently showing temps of about 44° C while typing this msg. IS this lower than normal, normal or high? SORRY to ask all  these questions but I am new to GIGABYTE and quad core processors. What temperature program are YOU using? THANKS for your patience and I look forward to any answers..

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Quad core only showing 2 cores - WHY?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:55 am »
Hi there,

With a Quad Core CPU you don't need to enable the unlocking feature and doing so can in fact lock off some off the cores, as you have discovered.

With regard to your CPU temps they seem a trifle high, considering the cooler you are using and I would suggest re-seating it to make sure it is making proper contact with the CPU.

I am running an 1090T X6 Phenom with a slight O/Clock with the Noctua NH-D14 cooler and my idle temps are around 20C - 24C. Rember though, that the ambient temperature will have a bearing and here in teh UK my room temp is about 20C.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.