Official GIGABYTE Forum

Just installed new board and have a few questions PLEASE..

Just installed new board and have a few questions PLEASE..
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:29:11 am »
Just installed my new 890FXA-UD5 motherboard and installed the Corsair H50 water cooler for the Phenom 965 x4 processor. Installed 2 - 4 meg 1333 memory strips. During the initial setup I selected the following (per absic): OnChip SATA controller = Enabled, OnChip Sata type = AHCI, OnChip Sata Ports4/5 type Sata type. I have connected to these ports SATA hard drives. When I boot up and it seems o.k. until it gets to Windows then it just reboots or windows tells me I have a problem and then it tries to 'correct' itself. The operating system was ALREADY installed and I am NOT running nor do I want to run a RAID (at least at this time). When I switch it back to IDE (in the bios)  everything works o.k. with windows = boots normally.  WHAT do I need to do to make this work? IS running AHCI to my benefit vs running SATA?  SECOND issue: The memory is rated at 7-7-7-21 yet it is showing up as 9-9-9-24. This is the same whether reading the chip or not. I can manually reset it but was wondering WHY is it reading it incorrectly and is this normal? LASTLY: I am running the Corsair H50 CPU cooler. FAN is set to NO CONTROL = runs full speed. Yet when I ran a diagnostic program it is telling me my cpu is running at 41° C. IS this normal? Seems high to be doing nothing but email, and some file transfer work? I believe I am running bios F6 (according to the diagnostic program). I appreciate ANY AND ALL help you can provide as this board is new to me. THANK you..

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Just installed new board and have a few questions PLEASE..
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:25 am »
If you have installed the OS in IDE Mode you can't then just change the BIOS settings to AHCI mode, you have to tweak the registry, in Windows to allow AHCI mode to work.

There is one way to fix this and the detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

If you follow the above procedure correctly you should be able to then run your PC in AHCI Mode

With regard to your RAM timings the 9,9,9,24 are the default settings and your RAM should run quite happily at that. If you want to bring them into line with their rating of 7,7,7,21 then you have to manually set them.

I have answered your CPU Temp query in your other post.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.