Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard/System Utilities?

Motherboard/System Utilities?
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:44:56 am »
Hey all

Just ordered the beautiful P67A-UD7 board, my first Gigabyte motherboard.

In my past few builds I have exclusively used the Nvidia motherboards (the 780i being the latest--3 years ago).  Nvidia has an amazing motherboard/system tools utility (Nvidia System Tools) which allows me to do all sorts of nasty tweaking to just about every setting of the motherboard.  Timings, voltages, fan speeds, bios updating, multipliers, SLI and Phys-X tweaking, live system monitors for temps and such, name it and it can be done from the desktop with these tools.

Is there a similar set of tools for Gigabyte motherboards or is there a universal set of tools for that someone has come up with?

I have googled a few things and nothing really comes up or maybe I am not "searching" correctly.  Any direction would be helpful. 

Re: Motherboard/System Utilities?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:03:38 am »
Hey all

Just ordered the beautiful P67A-UD7 board, my first Gigabyte motherboard.

In my past few builds I have exclusively used the Nvidia motherboards (the 780i being the latest--3 years ago).  Nvidia has an amazing motherboard/system tools utility (Nvidia System Tools) which allows me to do all sorts of nasty tweaking to just about every setting of the motherboard.  Timings, voltages, fan speeds, bios updating, multipliers, SLI and Phys-X tweaking, live system monitors for temps and such, name it and it can be done from the desktop with these tools.

Is there a similar set of tools for Gigabyte motherboards or is there a universal set of tools for that someone has come up with?

I have googled a few things and nothing really comes up or maybe I am not "searching" correctly.  Any direction would be helpful. 

Gigabyte offers Easy Tune 6 to assist in over clocking and tweaking fans and such.  I would not recommend it.  In the past, I have experienced everything from excellence to a total nightmare when using Easy Tune 6.

Excellent = ability to over clock with either a simple one click of the button to much more complex tweaking features.
Nightmare = total instability just from installing [not even using] the Easy Tune 6 software.  This included BSOD's on systems that were totally stable prior to the installation of this program.  This happened to me on a number of builds.

For me, I'll never touch it ever again.

Most OC'ers recommend that you simply use the BIOS and stay away from Easy Tune 6 and I totally agree with them.

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Motherboard/System Utilities?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:44:03 am »
I too would have to back up what Soar has said there about ET6. If you ndo decide to go ahead and use it make sure that you are using the latest BIOS version for your system.

There is everything you need in the BIOS to tweak any setting you want to. The only downside is haveing to go back to the BIOS to do so. However there is an overclocking utility called CloudOC from Gigabyte that is availabe on the website that allows you to alter a lot of settings available in the BIOS from a different machine/phone/tablet etc.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB