Official GIGABYTE Forum

How do you restrict voltage?

Arith

How do you restrict voltage?
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »
About a month ago I ran prime95 for over an hour and didn't get anything over 40 Centigrade.

But when running kaspersky2012 antivirus yesterday I could hear the fans so I looked at the temps and vcore went over 60 Centigrade whilst on idle it was 21C.

How do I limit the top voltage which went over 1.42V looks a bit like 1.49 on the graph.

My system isn't overclocked.

GA-970A-UD3
Bulldozer 8 core 3.1-4Ghz voltage auto normally 1.31v
Zalman cnps 10 performa
crucial 8GB 1600Mhz CAS8
Windows 7 64bit

Resource Monitor states cpu running at 109% max speed
Turbo is enabled in BIOS
Cannot see how to change vCore voltage but Optimum settings are used
All 8 cores utilized
Voltage peaked at 1.49V for about a second
At the end Kaspersky full scan is at crazy speed, you can see the progress bar moving, and stuck on 1.4V until finished, about 15-20 mins to scan 35GB.Temp around 55 C.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:51:11 pm by absic »

Arith

Re: How do you restrict voltage?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:20:41 am »
I cannot find a way to alter voltage of cpu; I can find cpu pll which starts from 2.3v ?? and cpu voltage which goes up to 0.5 ???

vCore which I thought  it was, right at the bottom and cannot be adjusted normal cpu operating voltage 1.4125V ??????

Arith

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

It is a bit hard to capture the images but voltage went up to about 1.45V and memory shows up to 50 faults/sec when the voltage drops but speed remains the same.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:57:35 am by Arith »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »
Hi there,

Which BIOS version are you running?

When you go to the MIT Section of BIOS and switch System Voltage from AUTO to Manual you should be able to adjust the subsequent settings, except for the last one which will show the Normal operating Voltage for the CPU.

Can you post some BIOS screen shots of the available options in this section of MIT as I don't have access to your motherboard and the images in the User's Manual may not match what you actually have?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Arith

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
Cheers absicHow do you do a screen shot in BIOS? I'm running F4 BIOS but the last but one in MIT has + - values and is called cpu voltage. The normal voltage is shown as 1.415v but I thought it was supposed to be 1.25v.

Had this on my Asus board, using optimum setting it ranked the voltage up to 1.33v but easy to manually change since it was called vCore and you just typed the numbers in.

Will adding -0.025 lower the voltage to 1.39v?

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-970A-UD3/Manual/210499

It looks like this though page 35
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:36:32 pm by Arith »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:49 pm »
Yes, this is what I would change and a 0.025V reduction should bring the CPU Voltage down as you have stated.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Arith

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
When I did that it knocked the volts down to 1.275v and bottom 0.81v. I just ran Kaspersky and it ran a lot slower, where before it was 20x nearly all the time, now it keeps moving between 7x and 20x but mostly 17x.

The volts don't get anywhere close to 1.42v but hover around 1.2v and the temp did not exceed 40C for most of the time but went to 46C tops once.

What is not good is the number of hard errors per second, a very big increase, so I don't know, what is bad or good enough since 1.275v is still an overvoltage. ???

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
Hi again,

I think the best thing to do would be to contact Tech Support and direct them to this thread and ask them what is going on, as they should be able to test things which I can't do for you.

Arith

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »
Cheers Absic; I might try adding 0.00v since the only difference is a manual setting and -0.025 deducts 4 times that off the bottom and top. It might be the auto thing and I know it runs ok at voltages <1.4v as regards temp.  :)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:20:33 pm »
Just double checked your previous replies and you say that you are running the F4 BIOS. It might be an idea to try the F5b beta BIOS that is available for you motherboard as it might improve things.

I would recommend using QFlash to run the update and remember to disable th e"Keep DMI Data" Option on teh QFlash homescreen before actually flashing the BIOS.

Don't worry that the F5b is beta and if you find things have not improved after updating you can always flash back to the F4 if you want to.

Oh, and the quickest & easiest way to get a screenshot of the BIOS that I know of, is to use a camera, but try and keep it in focus especially if it is camera n your mobile phone and also disable the flash.

Arith

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:58 pm »
cheers absic; since it is all for photography anyway, but my camera ain't like a mobile and it is a bit of work for one image. :)

Arith

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:19 pm »
Just ran 1 hour 5 mins of prime 95: I thought it would be a waste of time to run Memtest86 since on start the voltage is overvoltage and it was already tested on less volts.
It had to be tested in Windows with the crazy range of voltages of everything including memory.

It passed but noting that the cpu had only 1.08V while at 3.1Ghz. and sometimes it even went up to 3.5Ghz.

It is a bit of a strange thing; I was going to underclock but then thought it was too difficult and I didn't need to, then did it a little bit and end up a lot underclocked.

Don't think I will mess with beta bios; I'll wait but probably forget all about it. Cheers absic, you help is greatly appreciated.  :)