Official GIGABYTE Forum

OCZ RevoDriveX2 compatabilty?

OCZ RevoDriveX2 compatabilty?
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:22 pm »
Hi
I'm a new member to the forums but not to Gigabyte motherboards, having used them in many PC's over the years and can honestly say that I have always found them to be well built and reliable. So with this in mind when it came time recently to build new computers for both my Son & Daughter, as well as myself, I had no hesitation in turning towards Gigabyte once more as I simply regard them to be the best.

So having now completed their rigs I have now turned my attention to building mine and having not bought the model (GA-P67A-UD7) that I now wish I had bought I have a question regarding the GA-P67A-UD5, the model which my wallet settled for.
I have purchased but not yet unboxed a PCIE based SSD the OCZ RevoDriveX2 and was woundering as to whether the UD5 is able to boot to the operating system (Win7) from this device. OCZ apparently have already tested and passed the UD7 but there is no mention as to whether the UD5 is capable. If it makes a difference I would also need to run other HDD's (not for OS or bootup).

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: OCZ RevoDriveX2 compatabilty?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:56:14 am »
Hi, I see your post at OCZ  ;D

I have only seen confirmation on UD7, so I can't say for sure either way.   

You could ask Gigabyte directly while you also wait on OCZ to reply
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

Otherwise you'll have to let us know  :o

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I have actually already contacted support, in fact twice so far and still haven't had a reply hence my post on here. This is why I haven't opened the Revo's box yet so that it is still returnable should the Revo prove unusable.

It's a shame though that I am unable to change the motherboard to a UD7 as it would now solve a couple of issues, but I never thought at the time of buying it that I would of have considered ever buying a Revo. To make matters worse the UD5, though now installed in the PC case, still has not been powered up yet  :'(

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:19:52 am »
Well with the recall you should be able to return the UD5 for a refund, then buy a UD7 somewhere if you wanted.

Support should get back to you, but they were just on holiday so it may take them a bit to catch up.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:47 pm »
Thanks.

Had a reply from Gigabyte today :)

Quote:
"You can boot with RevoDrive OK from PCI-E but it will show in Hard Disk Drive as the first boot device.

You can insert RevoDrive, boot up system and press F12 to enter boot priority menu, and then go to Hard Disk to see RevoDrive.

Or you can boot up system and go to bios setup --> Advanced bios feature --> Hard Disk Boot to see RevoDrive there."

So I gather from this then, that the motherboard bios will automatically recognise it and therefore allow me to install Windows from the CD Drive as normal onto the RevoDrive and then use it as the boot drive thereafter.

Would I be correct with this interpretation?

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:23 am »
Make sure you enable AHCI in bios and not IDE, install window 7, window will configure itself according to the SSD.

Good luck.
Thermalthake full tower, ABS 1300W, Gigabute UD-9, i7 980X @ 4677.4GHz, Super Talent 2000MHz 7-7-7-20, NH-D14, OCz Drive R2 M84 256GB PCI-e Express for games, Crucial real SSD C300  Sata III 128GB for OS, 3 x 150GB Raptor + 1 x 300GB Raptor, Zotac GTX 480 AMP!, BFG GTX 285 OCFU for PhysX

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:43 am »
So I gather from this then, that the motherboard bios will automatically recognise it and therefore allow me to install Windows from the CD Drive as normal onto the RevoDrive and then use it as the boot drive thereafter.

Would I be correct with this interpretation?

Yes I would agree, although I would suggest to be safe that you disconnect any other hard drives until after the Windows installation.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB