Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-870A-UD3 Rev.2.1 Bios F2 Crashes after warming up a little

Hi to all!
Since I bought this motherboard with my new processor and RAM I´ve only got trouble.
In January, when I first built the system with a new 1090t and a fresh pair of 2x4gb Corsair 1333mhz (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) modules,
after installing Win 7 64 bit in RAID0, I started the Windows performance test and then for the first time the computer froze.
From then on the computer froze after 10 to 15 minutes of mild use after a cold powerup (warm the computer didn´t work).
It didn´t matter if I was in Windows or just in Bios watching the temperature of the system rise while the CPU temperature was at an almost constant 43ºC.
After that, when I reset the computer immediatly after the freezing or BSOD the speaker started emitting 3 long beeps continiously, which
in the manual meant that the graphics card was not inserted properly.
I always had to wait for the computer to cool down so that I could use it again for a few minutes.
When I turned on Prime95 the computer crashes after half a minute or so.
The CPU temps were always normal.
I tested my other graphics card (ATI hd3650 on the 16x and the 4x PCIe slots and the same thing happened again)
Finaly I RMA´d the motherboard and the shop refunded me because they didn´t have the board in stock anymore.
In the end the board wasn´t in stock in Brazil so I had to import a new board from the UK and I received it ten days ago.
The same thing as described above happened again!
This time I did a more thorough exam of the other parts of the computer.
Memory, PSU, GPU, CPU and the case came out fine.
And after reinstalling the PSU connections and the RAM the system worked perfect for a week until yesterday. :(
Now the same freezes, BSODs and beeps are happening again.
I don´t have another AM3 CPU or DDR3 memory to test with the motherboard unless I buy them.
I overvolted the RAM from 1,5v to 1,6v, lowered the frequency to 1066mhz, loosened the timings, updated the bios but nothing worked so far. Should I overvolt a bit the north bridge?
I have no clue as to what is happening. Should it be a freak coincidence that I got two faulty boards from a bad batch or is it more likely that the CPU has some bug (during the week the system worked, it withstood heavy gaming and prime95) or is the memory incompatible (Corsair states that it is compatible with all amd ddr3 systems)?

Hoping for some enlightment,
here are my specs:
Processor: 1090t BE 3,2ghz (which I got to max out at 3,8ghz stable with 0,1v CPU overvoltage for tests for one day);
Nvidia 8800GTS 512 650mhz @780mhz gpu 972mhz@1020mhz vram;
two LG DVD writers;
two 500gb samsung hdd in RAID 0;
one e-sata case with 1tb hdd;
Win 7 64 bit;
PSU: Seventeam V-Force 750w;
2x4gb Corsair 1333 CL9 memory.
Coolermaster cm690 case.

Tiger

Re: GA-870A-UD3 Rev.2.1 Bios F2 Crashes after warming up a little
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:12 am »
With 8GB RAM, the NB and NB VID probably both need more voltage. I would also test with each RAM separately with Memtest86+. Intermittent errors require 10 passes.
http://www.memtest.org/

NB voltage 1.2v - 1.25v
NB VID voltage under 1.35v. I would start with 1.3v and try going lower if it is stable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:50:09 am by Tiger »
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini