Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55-US3L: unknown constant hard drive accesses

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: GA-P55-US3L: unknown constant hard drive accesses
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:13 pm »
I would not lead you down the wrong path, trust me!   I am an administrator and head up support at the official US GIGABYTE support site here:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/

The INF Chipset driver installer I linked you to is for all chipsets, from old to new.  It is the actual installer, and it will scan and update any and all drivers that need updated.   Yes, it is the second link, named what you quoted (Here's the direct link)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=19596&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

You just download, install, then reboot and you are done.   Yes, they all installer over the old ones, and the installers will skip any files that are already up to date.

I only suggested you grab the latest one linked above because you guys had mentioned it, I am not sure if it will correct your issue, but it is the latest driver set.    It probably will not, as this is a strange issue and I've never seen it before other than what I mentioned above, and I've been helping users with GIGABYTE boards for years, and building my own systems for much longer than that.    I don't suggest this will solve your issue, I'm only discussing it because you asked about the latest drivers is all.   Hopefully it will help, but I kinda think the issue is due to some other problem?

Your chipset is series 5 as you mentioned, that includes all P55/H55/H57/Q57/P55/X58.   And you should be using your SATA Drive in AHCI mode, this could possibly be giving you HD LED issues?   I am not sure, but I would be using AHCI anyway as it is better for performance with your SATA Drive.   

If you are using windows 7 or Vista this is how you change to AHCI.   Make the following registry changes in windows, then reboot and enter the BIOS and at the top of the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS set AHCI then save and apply.    If you do not feel comfortable editing your registry then see this page, Microsoft has a "Fit It For Me" that will make the changes for you, after you run that reboot to BIOS and set AHCI as mentioned above.

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Microsoft Fix it in case you do not feel comfortable registry editing
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once you are in AHCI mode, install this Intel program, it will update your AHCI driver to the better Intel version (Instead of 2006 Microsoft AHCI)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=19607&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

You mentioned Floppy disk issues, what did you mean by that?

forumjoe

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »
I don't doubt your sincerity, Lsdmeasap, or your expertise, but I don't think that anything you've suggested is likely to improve the situation I have. That's because if you read the details given by Intel about the INF file installed by infinst_autol.exe, you find that the INF file is a text file, and that only. Well, after all, that's primarily what an INF file's meant to be! Indeed, Intel seem to go out of their way to point out that it's only a text file. Therefore, installing a more up-to-date INF file, in this case, is, I think, very unlikely to make any functional difference to the chipset. Just to confuse things, though, my motherboard user manual has a page toward the back where it describes how to install the motherboard drivers from the CD that comes with the board- incidentally, something I'd never dream of doing, as the drivers would inevitably all be out-of-date - and, in that, you can clearly see that the INF driver is not just a text file but also includes USB drivers and a PCIe driver.

I don't know why you're suggesting I switch to AHCI. It's of no use to me, as I use just a single drive and in IDE mode. I've no intention of running two drives at once or doing any hot-swapping or anything like that. I'm not using Vista (perish the thought) or 7, anyway. I appreciate all you've posted about setting up AHCI but, really, I've no intention of using it.

As for the FDD issues, if you care to read my opening submission for this topic, all will be explained. From time to time, I get completely random accesses to the FDD happening. The FDD motor whirrs momentarily. (And no, I'm not clicking on the FDD at the time!). On average, about six per hour. Long ago, I swapped both the FDD and its cable for others but it still occurred. There's nothing in the FDD at the time. The FDD otherwise works fine; have used it for making various bootdisks. I strongly suspect that the random FDD accesses and the constant and very regular accesses to the hard drive are all part of the same bug. Never experienced it on any previous PC I've built, even one with the same operating system, apps and utilities. It's either a hardware problem of some sort, or (more likely) a badly-written BIOS or a faulty chipset driver. On the board, accesses to and from the floppy are controlled by the IT8720 chip. The COM port hanging off that chip works fine, as does the PS2 keyboard but I've noticed that the FDD random accesses often coincide with clicking of the USB-connected mouse, so I suspect that something's amiss with the operation of the IT8720, or the LPC bus.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:18:21 pm by forumjoe »

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »
Thanks!   I wasn't sure if you were doubting me or my knowledge of the subject, or what.  So just wanted to be sure you knew I wasn't just some un-knowledgeable guy trying to help.

Yes, the INF is mainly descriptive txt file, but the system needs it so it knows what devices are installed and if their drivers are installed and working.   It also does install several drivers, SMBus, IDE/SATA, USB, several IO drivers, ect.

AHCI would be best for your drive as I mentioned, no matter if you need hot-swap or any of that, because it will allow your drive to function in a faster mode and will also allow the NCQ function on your drive to be active.    It's just much faster all around, trust me, but you can leave it in IDE mode if you want.

And yes, you are correct, the INF update probably wont help this issue, but it might so I would go ahead and update it just to be sure.

Thanks for the floppy info, sorry I missed that in your first post!    That is very odd, see if the INF update helps with this.   If it does not the next step to try and solve what is causing this would be to boot into safe mode for a while and see if it still happens there.   If it does not then start by uninstalling your Anti-virus program for a little bit to see if that is maybe trying to scan the drive.   If not then reinstall the antivius and move on to the next step.

Next is kinda a prolong method, but it will get you to the bottom of this.   Open MSCONFIG via Run, then in the general tab choose diagnostic startup and apply and reboot.   Then test for a while, if the FDD is not accessed then the issue is caused by a startup service.  Go back to Msconfig and select Normal startup and apply and reboot.  Then once in windows again open Msconfig and go into startup tab and disable all those, then apply and reboot and test.   If it's still happening then enable all the startup items again, and then this time go into services tab and disable all and save/apply/reboot.   If the services all disabled on reboot corrects the issue that is where the process gets long and drawn out, you will need to enable the one at a time and test until you find the culprit, then you can go from there.

Update the INF driver before you start the above troubleshooting.   And I would also install this (It will go into control panel), when you get to startup disable in msconfig, verify with this program that there are no other additional startup programs.   If there is you can disable with either Msconfig or disable them all with this tool instead, then test.
http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:22:59 pm by Dark Mantis »

forumjoe

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »
As far as the txt function of the INF driver supplied by Gigabyte's concerned, all seems tickity-boo on my machine at present, as nothing in Device Manager or elsewhere seems misnamed. But since you seem convinced that the INF file does include some other important drivers, it might indeed be worth me installing the pukka, newer Intel INF file when I'm ready to do so. As you say, there could be a minor difference between the two that could maybe make all the difference.

I had another scary moment with the new machine this evening, when I went to use Windows Media Player to stream some radio, as I do quite regularly these days. All I got was intermittent, highly-distorted sound. After finishing the new build some months ago, I had terrible problems with the PCI soundcard on this new machine, the card having performed flawlessly on the previous non-Gigabyte machine. Playing anything through the soundcard on the new machine was knife-edge touch-and-go; sometimes it'd work 100%, sometimes all I got was distorted unintelligible audio. A chance re-sitting of the soundcard in the PCI slot, though, cured it seemingly for good - until tonight, when curiously it 'died' once more. Fortunately, a reboot of Windows did the trick, though.

Due to manufacturing tolerances between the US3L motherboard and the PC case, the positioning of cards in their bus slots is certainly 'strained' (with it only just possible to get the card's restraining screw in) and, as a result, I think maybe the soundcard's edge pins are only just mating properly with the corresponding ones in the slot. Looks like I'll have to try repositioning the card by a hair's breadth again.

But this kind of thing's been symptomatic of the way some features of this motherboard have worked. One or two things appear 'edgy', ie. only just working.

Re your advice on MSCONFIG, I went through that caper months ago. It turned up nothing. And incidentally, you can't stop all Windows background processses, only certain ones; Windows won't let you stop some that are critical to operation, and rightly so.

I disagree with you completely about AHCI. From all my research, AHCI slows down operation, not speeds it up, though you'll find different camps on this issue. Further, it adds complication to the installing of the operating system. Believe me, there's no advantage to using it if you're using a single drive in IDE mode like I'm doing. So, please accept that I'm quite happy to be non-AHCI. Occasionally, there are things in computing that are contentious or are a matter of just personal preference, and this is one of them. No offence intended, old bean. Otherwise, am very much appreciating your feedback.

It'll be a few weeks before I'll have reinstalled the OS, chipset drivers and other software on a new hard drive and it won't be until at least some of that's done that I'll be able to tell whether using the Intel INF will have made any difference. Watch this spot. I'll let you know in due course.

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 03:23:11 am »
Well, alrighty, this will be my last attempt at changing your old ways  ;D

4K threaded Read performance (Random 4K read in multiple requests)  is double and sometimes triple when using AHCI Vs. IDE, and that is where disk performance is actually at - and where you "Feel" it most.   I made a comparison for you, it's not as easy to see on mechanical drives, because they are so slow to begin with, but you can indeed see the AHCI 4K Threaded reads are 2-3x what IDE mode offers.  *Note, I did not use AS SSD on the spinning hard drive, because it takes about an hour or so to complete a test, compared to the 2 minutes an SSD takes.

So click here... or not  :D
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3811/ahcivside.png

On your FDD and HDD LED issue, so did you ever try safe mode with networking (Or without) for a while to see if the issue remained while in that state?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:17:05 am »
I just wanted to add my two penneth to what Lsdmeasap has been saying to you regarding the speed increase with using AHCI. If implimented properly AHCI can certainly improve performance of hard disks whether they are SSDs or magnetic disks. Apart from the Hot swap capabilities it enables Native Command Queueing etc all of which can speed up the data transfer to and from your drive.  It is the way forward but of course you don't have to follow it.   ;)

Lsdmeasap
I have already tried all the usual things like that but apart from physically disconnecting the optical drive from the SATA2 port(GA-P67A-UD5) so far no joy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:20:10 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 10:51:46 am »
Lsdmeasap,

Does the Intel INF driver to which you pointed me (installer is infinst_autol.exe) contain the Gigabyte SATA2 Driver? I'm wondering whether, if I want to make use of the Gigabyte SATA2 ports on the board at some later time, I'll need to download here and now a separate Intel driver for that. You may be aware that, when Gigabyte provides the INF driver and so forth, they provide the drivers separately. So, Gigabyte offer an INF driver and, separately, a Gigabyte SATA2 driver. (This may, in part, account for Gigabyte's driver version nos. being wildly different to Intel's).

You indicated that the Intel INF installer scans my machine and decides which drivers I need and which I don't. Do I then get to select from the ones that are identified? Note that I specifically want to avoid installing any sort of UAA audio driver, as that's definitely not required when using a separate PCI soundcard, such as in my case. I also want to avoid the backdoor installing of any utilities. I've been going to great pains to achieve as lean and as clean a machine as possible.