Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-UD2H Memory Errors only with 4 sticks installed

GA-H55M-UD2H Memory Errors only with 4 sticks installed
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
so I'm running the GA-H55M-UD2H with 8 GB of memory (4 2GB DIMM Patriot 1333)  About a month ago, I started getting random errors from one of the programs I was running (Yes it was World of Warcraft if you must know)  The error would crash the program, but not the entire computer.  After some testing I found that one of my Memory sticks was bad.  (I tested them as a group and then individually to find the one producing errors)  I sent the bad sticks back RMA and get my replacements.

While them memory was out RMA I ran with 4GB of memory and everything was fine.  About a week ago I got my repalcement chips and reinstalled them.  A few days ago I saw the return of the error in Warcraft.  I tested the chips again and received errors.  So in an attempt to identify the bad chip I pulled out 2 of the chips and ran again.  This time there were no errors produced.  So I tried the othert two chips and again no errors.  Since that time I have tried numerous combinations of my RAM.  I've swithced positions in the board, ran with 2, with 1 and with all four in various positions.  The only time I get errors is when I have all four chips installed.  The errors tend to occur in the 6th test and then show up in the other tests on subsequent passes.

Can anybody suggest what might be causing these errors or how I might be able to go about addressing them?  Is there a better tool for diagnosing problems like this?  Thank you for any help you may have to offer.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-H55M-UD2H Memory Errors only with 4 sticks installed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Well your problem could be down to one of two things really. Fistly no manufacturer will guarantee that two differnet kits of their memory modules wil work together. If you require that you really should buy a kit of 4 matched modules.

Secondly it could be that you have installed the memory and still have it on the auto settings. If you fill the meory slots you need to configure the voltages and timings manually as the full banks put an extra load on the memory controller and you will need to increase the voltage a touch to compensate.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: GA-H55M-UD2H Memory Errors only with 4 sticks installed
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »
As DM said, set memory manually with volts + timings. Also up the QPI voltage a tad (remember small incraments)
There's no place like ::1