Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Why did I upgrade to the new F3 BIOS??? Now in death throws, HELP

TimmyT

• Speed Junky
Hi,

I upgraded to the F3 BIOS using @BIOS in the Windows 7 OS. Big mistake!!!

When I rebooted the computer now starts and stops every 10 seconds or so. It won't get to the post screen until I push the Clear CMOS button. Then it only just makes it past initial post to the image screen and reboots once again, starting the 10 second reboot of death cycle.

Now, forgive me for thinking that "Dual Bios" means I'm protected from this sort of thing, but there's nothing in the manual on how to force the system to go to the secondary BIOS.

PLEASE HELP :o
New to the forum. Old to PC's

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
No there is nothing in the manual about it. Just because you have it doesn't mean your allowed to play with it! ;D

Try this:

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:23:20 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
If that does not help I'd suggest you try an extended clear CMOS, with the power supply unplugged press and hold the case button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery and press and hold the clear CMOS button for about 5 minutes.

Sounds to me like the flash went ok since after clearing the CMOS shortly you can see the splash screen, it just sounds like you have some old settings locked in that you need to clear.

Yep, I've had this happen before too. I've done two things to fix it: turned off the power to my computer manually and simply shut down the computer pressing "f10" once the BIOS has been updated. Both of these solutions have corrected the system restart bug while maintaining the F3 version of the BIOS.

On a side note, this new set of BIOS will give you way greater control over the load-line calibration. Previously, it went from level 1-2. It now goes to level 1-10 with 5 maintaining the voltage as close as possible to what it is set in the BIOS. Remember to adjust your settings respectively if you're overclocking; otherwise, you will see a lot of BSODs due to v-droop.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:45:20 am by Jivenjune »

TimmyT

• Speed Junky
Thank you all for the advise!

I got the system working once again, but it took the CMOS deep reset to get it to work. Had some funny (not so funny) things going on initially though

1. The BIOS, once reset to my original settings for RAID 0, didn't see one of my 4 drives in RAID.

2. As a result, I changes the drive cables on the drives to see which one. Then I switched cables. The drive was fine. It was the number 3 SATA port on the board???

3. I then reflashed the BIOS using the F3 BOIS again, but this time using QFLASH. No issues.

4. Same problem with the RAID after resetting my BIOS settings again.

5. Unplugged my entire RAID and plugged in my WD 1tb Black into number 3 Sata port and it recognized it no problem.

6. Moved the WD to the number 0 Sata3 port and started plugging in my Momentus XT's one by one. They were recognized.

7. When into BIOS and changed to RAID again. This time all 4 came up as my RAID 0 and the system booted.

Lesson learned DO NOT USE OS BIOS FLASH!!!

Cheers,

Tim
New to the forum. Old to PC's

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Awesome to hear you got this resolved in the end!

Sometimes an extended clearing of the CMOS helps more than anything else, glad it was able to fix this for you!