Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 2.1) AM2 socket --> AM3 processor

GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 2.1) AM2 socket --> AM3 processor
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:53:08 am »
I have this motherboard

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2385#ov

My questions is I want to upgrade my AMD64 X2 6000+ to either a four core or six core per my supported CPU list

In this BIOS section of the AM2+ and AM3 supported processors it lists NA, like a BIOS upgrade is not applicable for this

I have BIOS, FG.

I play video games with my computer and have been looking to upgrade, this mobo has been with me a while, three years in fact.

I just had to replace the capacitors on it.

Anyhow I would like to know others experience since it will by reducing my HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s).

This would slow my CPU's ability to communicate with my PCI Express slot and my PCI slot, but it should not effect memory read/write speed, right?

Any help would be appreciated as what I should about the BIOS and other people's experience.

Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 2.1) AM2 socket --> AM3 processor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
Hi there,

sadly the N/A that you see in the CPU Compatibility list means that the CPU isn't supported and your motherboard doesn't take any of the AM3 processors.

If you want to run a quad or hex core I'm afraid you are going to also need a new motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.