Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68A-D3-B3 + OCZ SSD Problems - FYI

RzB

Z68A-D3-B3 + OCZ SSD Problems - FYI
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:41:26 pm »
Just for information...

I have just upgraded my wife's machine with a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 + intel I3 2100 CPU, and 8G Corsair DDR3.

The machine is now running really nicely - but it took two weeks of hell to fix the BSODs!

The bottom line is that the motherboard does not (for me at least) work with an OCR SSD drive. In fact the latest BIOS (F8a BETA) indicates that it is supposed to improve compatability with OCZ drives. Well it didn't improve things for me and introduced other problems - BSODs during Windows 7 installation!

I replaced the OCZ with a Crucial M4 (more cost) and dropping back to BIOS Ver F5 gives me a stable system.

Hope this helps anyone else out there...

Also the version numbering on a couple of the drivers on the CD did not line up with the versions on the web site. I pointed this out to Gigabyte support and had a really naff response - which I an unable to respond to without raising another problem - Not impressed.

As an ex (retired) software manager for blue chip company, I can tell you that it does not give me a warm feeling when a software/support group can't get a simple thing like version numbers right. What hope is there when they get to the difficult stuff. Hmm...

RzB
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:44:42 pm by RzB »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Z68A-D3-B3 + OCZ SSD Problems - FYI
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:58 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Thanks for the heads up regasrding the OCZ SSD and the motherboard compatibility problem. To be honest this has been known for some time in different guises. OCZ drives quite often raise problems and usually the only way around it is to update the SSD's firmware which is fine if OCZ has actually effected an update for the purpose. I don't know if you did this during your trials but it is usually a recommended first step.

As an ex (retired) software manager for blue chip company, I can tell you that it does not give me a warm feeling when a software/support group can't get a simple thing like version numbers right. What hope is there when they get to the difficult stuff. Hmm...

Nuff said!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

RzB

Re: Z68A-D3-B3 + OCZ SSD Problems - FYI
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:58:23 pm »
Yes  - updated to latest version and Sanitary Erased prior to starting upgrade.

The drive had been running fine on previous MSI motherboard.

Perhaps I shouldn't have updated the firmware!!! :-)

Thanks for your response.

RzB