Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 rev1.1

sbp

Problem with gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 rev1.1
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »
A video of the problem itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7pC8K5ewk

Here are the components which I have purchased either from scan, overclockers or ebuyer.

NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Black Full Tower Case

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, 1155

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev1.1 Motherboard.

Corsair Hydro Series H70 High-performance

Gigabyte GTX 560 OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Blue

OCZ Agility Series 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM

Corsair 750W HX Modular PSU

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Surround Sound Card

Tenda Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I will try and explain as best as I can what the problem is. I am also uploading a video right now.

EDIT: added video

Firstly, when assembled everything, the BIOS would not load up and all I get is the phase lights which flash every 4-6 seconds or so. Secondly, the CPU cooler, H70 does not fit the the motherboard, it gives me instructions for various sockets and that I tried using the 1156 socket instructions however i could not get it to line up, and I could not install it (the mounting bracket which is placed behind the motherboard does not fit properly and that I followed the instructions extremely carefully which I spent over 2 hours just trying to fit the H70). Therefore I just removed the back mounting bracket and just used the nuts and screws to securely fix the H70 cooler (holds very firmly)

The phase lights I have mention state that 'The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs '

I am thinking it is a motherboard or cpu problem?

Ive tried using the follow memory slots
DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 slots
DDR3_2 and DDR3_4 slots
DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 slots
A single DDR3_1 slot

I have searched around on the net and found a few people with the same issue as me, but when I try their solutions which worked on their setup, mine did not. Some of the solutions were using both 24pin and (2x4)pin(CPU) cables connected from the power supply to motherboard, changing the memory slots, using standoffs (which I use on the motherboard, not sure If I am doing it correctly).

Ive tried just using the power supply, motherboard, CPU and I get the same results. I cannot even get the bios screen to load up, there are no sounds coming from the motherboard when I try and boot up. Am I missing something obvious here?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:49:12 pm by sbp »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Problem with gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 rev1.1
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:02:32 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Well let's just hope you haven't severely damaged anything! First off you must use standoffs and in the correct places with no extra ones.

Secondly you must fit all power cables , that is both 4pin ATX 12v and the 24 pin motherboard power cable.

Thirdly you must fit the backing ring for the Corsair H70 otherwise you can bend the board and break internal tracks. The H70 will fit correctly it is just you haven't got the right idea. You will probably need to turn it a bit to get it to line up with the correct holes.

I think the best thing is for you to remove the motherboard from the case and build it up outside on the motherboard's box on the worktop.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard.

Add the keyboard and now I know you haven't got any graphics but try and boot. The system should try and then fail emitting a series of beeps.

Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

sbp

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:59:00 pm »
thank you very much for the reply. But I would just like to clarify a few things (sorry if they are stupid/obvious questions)

The standoffs are the nuts I am given with the tower right? so basically where abouts do I use them? on every single screw I put through the motherboard to hold it firmly inside the case? for example If I use 5 screws on the motherboard, i must use 5 standoff nuts onto the screws.

secondly, you say the "both 4pin ATX 12v and the 24 pin motherboard power cable". with my powersupply (corsair), I am given 2 sets of bundle cables which come attached from the PSU. 1 set is the 24pin which is placed onto the motherboard, the other is a 2x4pin which I place near the cpu right (is this the same thing as "both 4pin atx 12v?")

thirdly, are there any pictures u have that show how to place the h70 bracket onto my motherboard because I have seriously tried every single combination including the 1156 instructions which gigabyte has given me. I have kept rotating the brackets to try and find the right fit, but I just cannot seem to find for some reason. Is the bracket meant to be an easy/perfect fit or am I going to have to try and stretch and pull it in order for it to fit.

Another thing you say, observe anti-static precautions. I have one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Grounding/dp/B004CS5WIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304808823&sr=8-1

Do I just put it around my wrist with the crocodile clip hanging off the side? and what exactly are anti static precautions? dont wear socks on the carpet floor, dont wear jumpers?

lastly what do you think is actually causing this flashing phase LED lights?

And If I could get this resolved, thank you very much as this would save me RMA it.

KJILM123

• I am NOT going out today....
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:56 am »
I had the same problem with the Cool IT Domino ALC cooling. The hoses are very unwieldy. So I had to do first the CPU socket with a little help of my wife. Which was quite funny to watch probably from spectators view :o. haha. Then I gently put the unit of the Cool IT in the Case on the left side and mounted the screws and washers. I rejected the funny rubber hangup connectors that came with the unit. This was for me a little to figure out what was the best way to do it, but it worked out nicely as I said. In this way I found it was still not very easy because of the stiffness of the hoses, but it worked out nicely. So try that if that floats your boat in your case to mount the Corsair H70.

You can connect the wrist strap crocodile clamp on the side of the case or on a heater frame in your house. But you also can discharge the static charge of yourself on the heater frame, by putting your hands on it for a few seconds. Umm make sure it is not very very hot. Because with burned hands it is not nice working in computers.  :D

Try to do the H70 Fan and unit in another FAN1,2,3 Pin header and a FAN Pin connector in the CPU header and see if it starts then. Gigabyte boards do start up with CPU header and then stops 1-2 seconds and then continues to rotate at normal speed.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:26:07 am by KJILM123 »
Gigabyte 3D Mercury FTC Water cooled, GA-X58A-UD7 version 2.0, Intel i7 980X 6 cores 4.2 Ghz, 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000 Mhz, Soundblaster Fatality X-fi 5.1 Surround Sound, LG BD, XFX ATI Radeon 6970 2 Gb, 2 SATA III 6 Gb/s 1 TB, non RAID, 1000 Watt Cooler Master Professional Gold, HP w2408h 24"

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:26:25 am »
You didn't scratch any of the PCB while wrestling with getting the cooler attached did you?   Best to check it all over to be sure.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS with a jumper for 10 minutes or so?  If not try that, with the power supply disconnected from the board.

sbp

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:43:10 am »
You didn't scratch any of the PCB while wrestling with getting the cooler attached did you?   Best to check it all over to be sure.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS with a jumper for 10 minutes or so?  If not try that, with the power supply disconnected from the board.

what is exactly is PCB? and is clearing the CMOS by removing that circular battery?

also should the h70 bracket behind the mother board look like this? (found this picture on the net)

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5421/sdc10372.jpg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:02:55 am by Dark Mantis »

sbp

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:52:37 am »
Also where would I put the motherboard speaker which looks similar to this:

It has 4 pins and I cannot see where abouts my motherboard it fits

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:58:03 am »
The standoffs are the nuts I am given with the tower right? so basically where abouts do I use them? on every single screw I

put through the motherboard to hold it firmly inside the case? for example If I use 5 screws on the motherboard, i must use 5

standoff nuts onto the screws.

Correct. But do make sure that the standoffs match up to the location holes for the motherboard.

secondly, you say the "both 4pin ATX 12v and the 24 pin motherboard power cable". with my powersupply (corsair), I am given 2

sets of bundle cables which come attached from the PSU. 1 set is the 24pin which is placed onto the motherboard, the other is a

2x4pin which I place near the cpu right (is this the same thing as "both 4pin atx 12v?")

Correct again. Do make sure however that all the connections are firmly made.

thirdly, are there any pictures u have that show how to place the h70 bracket onto my motherboard because I have seriously

tried every single combination including the 1156 instructions which gigabyte has given me. I have kept rotating the brackets to try

and find the right fit, but I just cannot seem to find for some reason. Is the bracket meant to be an easy/perfect fit or am I going

to have to try and stretch and pull it in order for it to fit.

The picture you showed looks fairly much ok I would say but I know people do have a problem getting it just right.

Do I just put it around my wrist with the crocodile clip hanging off the side? and what exactly are anti static precautions?

dont wear socks on the carpet floor, dont wear jumpers?

That conjours up a lovely picture but whilst the right idea I don't think it will catch on in the workplace! Obviously don't wear any

static producing clothing like hoodies etc and try not to shuffle across the nylon carpet before attacking the computer. The wrist

strap needs to be put around your wrist and then connected to any good earth. You can use the case if you have it plugged into the

mains but switched off.

and what do you think is actually causing this flashing phase LED lights?

My guess would be a short to earth. But it could be other things as well.

what is exactly is PCB? and is clearing the CMOS by removing that circular battery?

PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board and can be any board with components on it. Clearing thje CMOS is a little more complicated than

just removing the battery but that is the general idea. If you need help to do this just ask and I can give you full instructions.

Also where would I put the motherboard speaker which looks similar to this:

The buzzer fits onto two pins situated in the F_PANEL connector box at the bottom right hand side of the motherboard.There is a

diagram of it in your manual. There are two pins with a two pin space between them and one is marked + so just match up that

connection to the positive on the buzzer.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

sbp

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »
Thank you so much Dark Mantis, Ive just taken the H70 out and replaced it with the stock i5 heat sink and it seems to be working now. Although I am having 1 slight problem of mounting the motherboard onto the case because the back panel seems to be getting in the way and I can only screw in around 4/5 points. Also my sound card cannot be screwed in for some reason (maybe because it is not aligned properly), but other than that its up and running.

thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:10:35 pm by sbp »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »
Sometimes these things need a little bit of moving around to get them to fit well but just remember they are al designed and tested to fit properly so if you are having trouble it is just a matter of perseverence and a big hammer! :o  No maybe forget the big hammer!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

sbp

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »
by the way, how would I connect my fans to the PSU? Apparently I have to connect the fans to a 4 pin molex which I cannot find on the fan.

all I get is this:

which I can connect that to my fan controller, so where do i connect it to the PSU?

I have tried connect that lead into the motherboard it self, however the fan does not turn on. How would I do this?

Thanks

KJILM123

• I am NOT going out today....
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 02:14:34 pm »
Hi Sbp,

You can find sometimes in the computer shop a Fan divider with the Fan connectors you show as Fan, which are going to 1 Molex connector on the board.

OR you can just pull off the connector and add the wires with the same colours on the Molex connector on your PSU and put some blue tack or white tack around it, Indian style....  ;D, but that works too. It's up to you, spend or cheap solution. You can always tuck the wires away in some bay that is empty so nobody will see it. hehe.

KJ

Gigabyte 3D Mercury FTC Water cooled, GA-X58A-UD7 version 2.0, Intel i7 980X 6 cores 4.2 Ghz, 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000 Mhz, Soundblaster Fatality X-fi 5.1 Surround Sound, LG BD, XFX ATI Radeon 6970 2 Gb, 2 SATA III 6 Gb/s 1 TB, non RAID, 1000 Watt Cooler Master Professional Gold, HP w2408h 24"

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 04:21:50 pm »
you can just pull off the connector and add the wires with the same colours on the Molex connector on your PSU and put some blue tack or white tack around it, Indian style....  ,

More like cowboy style if you ask me! I really wouldn't recommend that sort of connection. If you are going to do that make a proper connection and shield it with heatshrink or something similar.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:54:57 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

sbp

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:18 pm »
ive decided to buy the lead from amazon.

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:08 am »
Nice to hear you got it working with the stock heatsink!

Sounds like you may have had a short with the H70 from not using the backplate, or some other cause.

Here's how I suggest you clear the CMOS, when you next need to anyway, second post here
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide.html