Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA78LMT-S2 Raised rectangular shape inside socket?

GA-MA78LMT-S2 Raised rectangular shape inside socket?
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:08:41 am »
Hi .
Dumb question maybe?
This is my first ever Gigabyte board and first socket AM3 as well.
Upon inspecting the socket, I have what appears to be a thin raised rectangle about
6-8 pins in from the outside that spans about 16 pinholes wide and 20 pinholes long.( ish )
Is this a casting flaw? Is this normal? It seems like this would keep the cpu from fully seating into the socket.
 I searched your forum and found nothing related to this , BUT, I looked at a few Gigabyte m/bs on Newegg,
 used the zoom in feature (cool) and there it is. What is the purpose of this rectangle if it is supposed to be there?
Just would like to know if there should be any concerns about this .
Thanks
Rick

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA78LMT-S2 Raised rectangular shape inside socket?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:09:02 am »
Hi Rick,

there are no dumb questions only dumb answers! There is no practical reason for the raised ridge on AMD sockets that I have been able to come across just seems like someone said "Ooo, that looks a good idea!" It isn't a problem and it won't stop your CPU from sitting properly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:28 am »
Thanks for your reply.
I took a (chance) and went ahead with the build .
All is well and machine is up and running as I am writing this .
 Nice little board.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:26 am »
Hi Ironhead,

pleased to read that your build has gone OK and that everything is fine. The design of the AM sockets can be a little disconcerting, especially if you are new to them and there have been other post regarding this so you're not the first to ask this question.

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy your PC but don't forget, if you run into any problems we're here to help!  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.