Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA41m-ES2l Lan port died suddenly

GA41m-ES2l Lan port died suddenly
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:10 pm »
I have a GA41M-es2l mainboard which has suddenly and inexplicably had the lan port die.   I'm using WinXp SP3(still).   E
verything was normal.  I'd checked my email, used the internet, etc so networkng was working OK.

I was experimenting with linux on a flash drive.  I booted to the flash drive.  No issues.  Lan worked OK under linux, but I didn't like the distro of linux so I restarted back to Windows.  Win comes up, popup baloon say "no network connection".   I checked the cable connection, it's fine.   Tried disabling/re-enabling network under windows, etc.   No dice.   I shut down windows and in the BIOS there's a lan cable test thing.  It's some kind of loop-back test I think?  
Anyway it showed a good cable of "less than 10M"...  

Back to windows.  Still nothing.  Power off, wait a few minutes.  Power on.  Same problem.  I messed with the BIOS Green LAN settings to see if that might have the problem. ( I was vexed once by that setting being on and the cable disconnected which turns off the LAN chip clock. ) No change.    Tried the linux on flash drive which lan worked before.  This time says no network connection also.

I powered on another computer used linux on flash drive and connected the same lan cable to it.  Connection is normal.

OK.  So after all I've said.  Am I safe to ass-u-me that the lan port has just suddenly and mysteriously died?    What on earth caused it?!  I've had only one lan port die before and that was after a thunderstorm knocked out our power. It killed one TV set and the ONLY the lan port on the computer I had on.   This time there was no thunderstorm.  Heck, I'm in Houston.  We haven't had rain in weeks.

Right now, I'm working on the affected computer by using a plugged in USB wireless lan adaptor so I guess
I've worked around it but I'd love to know what the #$#% I did that would cause the lan to go dead?

I just looked it's ver 1.0 which I bought in mid-2009 so it's under warranty.  How long does Gigabyte usually take to turn around an RMA?  
I bought it at Fry's.  Gigabyte's Warranty Service page says to take to the to retailer where purchased when I tried to look for a service center.
Is Frys an authorized Gigabyte service center?  I don't want them messing it up and voiding my warranty.

OH, I forgot to mention I've tried to make a tech support request to Gigabyte but there's a problem with the webpage.  The dropdown box for entering the mainboard model is blank, but it won't let me type anything either  It won't let me submit the page without entering the mainboard model.   Is there a way to report this to the webmaster?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:06:34 pm by G_H_Ramsey »

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: GA41m-ES2l Lan port died suddenly
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »

Be patient and the wizard will eventually see it, he can answer just about all your questions, but I cannot!... what I can do is give you some suggestions that you may not have tried yet or over looked!

Have you tried rolling it back to before the mishap......sometimes the first time/date is not excepted, try another a bit earlier

Instead of disabling it, try uninstalling it (Device Manager tree) and go for a reboot......it should reload the drivers again (sem)i-automatically , ... failing this  the OS (XP) should have a better go at finding  a problem which it should prompt you through to a result

Pull out the Board Manual and go through the LAN CHIP connection chapter, it might prompt you into remembering something.....It's a start.

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:19 pm »
Hi there,

I've come across this issue myself and am pretty sure that your LAN port hasn't died. The same thing happened to me when I tried running Ubuntu from a USB drive.

Try uninstalling the LAN drivers and re-installing them also, check that you BIOS is the latest version asI found this worked for me.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »

The Wizards apprentice or the AMD warlock..........take your pick!..........AA
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »
Hi there,

I've come across this issue myself and am pretty sure that your LAN port hasn't died. The same thing happened to me when I tried running Ubuntu from a USB drive.

Try uninstalling the LAN drivers and re-installing them also, check that you BIOS is the latest version asI found this worked for me.
you seem to be right.   I tried the suggestion to uninstall my lan driver and let windows redetect it.   Shut down, reboot.  Windows activation warning and redetect hardware.  I seem to remember that the network adaptor accounts for a large portion of what windows looks for to determine if you're using the same computer you activated it on.  So I didn't panic.  

Vioila!  For some strange reason the Lan port is working now.  Activate windows.  

So what gives?  Why does using a USB drive with linux deactivate the lan port? 
 The linux version us Ultimate Edition 2.8, BTW.  Which is based on Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:46:03 pm by G_H_Ramsey »

Aussie Allan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:01:04 pm »

From Me!...short Answer!  Wouldn't have a Bl**dy clue! .... I don't try and understand the" law of relativity" , ... But I excepted it many years ago and moved on.

The Fix ... It's just a tried and tested fix for a lot of hardware issues when they mysteriously go off line for no apparent reason! ... If you track it right back to it's source , nine times out of ten ,... it's pilot error.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »

From Me!...short Answer!  Wouldn't have a Bl**dy clue! .... I don't try and understand the" law of relativity" , ... But I excepted it many years ago and moved on.

The Fix ... It's just a tried and tested fix for a lot of hardware issues when they mysteriously go off line for no apparent reason! ... If you track it right back to it's source , nine times out of ten ,... it's pilot error.

Aussie Allan
What I find strange is that it's appearently a repeatable issue.    Since I was using a flash drive to boot from there should be no interaction between my HDD windows installation and the OS on the flash drive.   So it's something the linux distro did to the hardware either while online or perhaps during shutdown which caused windows to improperly configure the lan port.  This made it appear disconnected until the driver is removed and the hardware re-detected.    Sorry, I'm thinking aloud... Not really asking a question.    I'm going to have to research this since I don't want to have it happen again if I can avoid it.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »

Bingo!   I suspect it has something to do with either a write to Bios or MBR.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »

Bingo!   I suspect it has something to do with either a write to Bios or MBR.

Aussie Allan
I can't see how either of them would have been affected.   The MBR for sure wouldn't be since I didn't try to install the linux distro merely ran it "live".
I did change the BIOS to boot from the flash drive, but made no other changes.   Linux cannot make BIOS changes without being told to and it wasn't.

The ubuntu forums seem to point to the router as a cause of the lan acting up and to simply reset it so it clears the stored DHCP list.   
Something about the stored MAC address being the same for two different IP addresses causing it to not give an IP address at all.

I'm not entirely certain that was the problem in my case though.   I disconnected and unplugged the router first thing which should have cleared
the DHCP list but didn't.  There must be a stored DHCP table within Windows too that is wiped with the reinstallation of a network adaptor.

Aussie Allan

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.......you already know more then I in this area as what you said makes sense, ... to be honest I've ventured down the LAN path very little, mainly due to "no need" ... I'll be reading up on it a little more in the coming weeks

AA
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage