Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55a-ud4p Rev 1.0 fails to post on cold boot - stops before Ram Check

Hi everyone,

I'm having a very intermitent (yet strange issue). I'm running the ga-p55a-ud4p rev 1.0 (Bios F13) with a Intel i7-860 + Ram (Corsair CMX8GX3M2A 1333C9 DDR3).

I'm noticing that on cold boots (whether the pc has being turned off over night or for a few minutes), it will fail to post & will stop before it checks ram.

I noticed this issue occuring if all 4 DDR slots are populated with Ram , whether it's 4x4Gb or 2x4Gb and 2x2GB.

I've run memtest overnight and no errors were detected.

I found that I only install ram in any of the 2 DDR channels at a time the pc will post ok ( and I've tested this up to 50 Cold boots) as opposed to when all 4 DDR slots are used, I've gotten the post to fail at the 9th & 16th Cold boot.

I have not over-clocked my system and am running all bios settings at default.

Has anyone had similiar issue or any advise that I can go on. I've taken the pc back twice to the store of purchase but their technicians could not find an issue.

I must add, that this occurs whether or not any hard drive or optical drives are connected, on a couple of occassions the system would boot but all i would get on the dual-display monitors were the blinking power lights but no display (until I reseated the ram modules)...so I'm really lost at this point & would appreciate any type of advise.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Your problem would seem to be a fairly simple one in that I expect you are still trying to run the memory in Auto mode. Because you have filed all the memory banks you have put an added load on the memory controlller and will need to manually enter the settings especially the DRAM Voltage. If the standard voltage of the memory is 1.65v then try increasing that to 1.68 -1.70v
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB