Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP45-UD3P non-system Raid 1 install on XP

GA-EP45-UD3P non-system Raid 1 install on XP
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »
I have an older XP system using the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard to which I want to add a RAID 1 array.  The new RAID 1 volume will be used as a data disk and will not be used for the O/S.   I really don't want to rebuild the entire system from scratch.  The motherboard has two Raid capable controllers.  One is the Intel Southbridge and one is the Gigabyte Sata2 controller.  I connected 2 1GB drives to the two ports controlled by the Gigabyte controller.  I then made the change in the bios to switch the Gigabyte controller to RAID mode.  I then went into the Gigabyte RAID configuration utility and set up the RAID array.  My computer booted fine and the two disks showed up as a single disk.  I created an NTFS partition on the new volume and did a format using Partition Magic.  The new RAID volume seems to be working properly.  However, I never did anything to update the driver.  The volume is currently using the standard XP disk driver.  I am concerned that the driver needs to be a RAID specific driver.  I don't want to run into a problem later when I have a disk failure and my data is not protected due to a driver shortcoming.  There is a RAID driver for the Gigabyte controller on the Gigabyte website but all of the instructions are for forcing the install of the driver during the OS install process.  I have no idea if this driver is actually necessary and if so, how I can get it installed now without re-installing my O/S from scratch.  Any insights regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated.