Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte x58-UD3R restarts when trying to access Boot Menu & BIOS settings??

Hello everyone! i would like to thank you all for your help in advance!

components: x58 UD3R rev.2 BIOS FF
                   Gigabyte 5770 GPU
                   i7 960 3.2 ghz quad core
                   Mushkin enhanced RAM 1600 mhz 1.65v, one stick @ 4 gigs.
                   corsair 850 w PSU
                   corsair 80 gig SSD HD

i did some pre operating system testing with The Ultimate Boot CD and everything seemed to be working fine. the cpu handled CPU burn-in well and Memtest found no errors.

i then adjusted the timings and voltage for the ram since the MOBO was recognizing the ram as 1066 mhz and 1.5v and not 1600 and 1.65v like the ram is rated. i then changed the ram the factory timing settings as well which are 9-9-9-24.

everything seemed fine so i then loaded the Ubuntu operating system and played around it it worked well.

i planned on installing another operating system on a new harddrive so i unplugged the ubuntu drive and plugged in my new drive and adjusted the BIOS settings to the recommended settings for the OS. the settings that changed are setting all the SATA controllers to AHCI, setting HPET to 64 bit, Disabling all unused GSATA ports, leaving the Memory the way i had previously changed it, Enabling all advanced CPU features, No-Execute Memory Protect = Enabled, &Init Display First = PCIE x16-1.

i then went to bed.

the next day when i went to turn on my computer and enter the F12 Boot Menu OR by pushing Delete to enter BIOS settings the computer would just restart once it was about to do it. it did this continually. eventually i was able to get into the BIOS settings so i used Q-flash and reflashed the BIOS again to make sure it wasn't that and set everything back their Optimized defaults. the system still continued to do the same thing when trying to enter F12 Boot Menu and sometimes takes the computer a few restarts to get into the BIOS settings.

i then decided to install the operating system anyway and just changed the boot priority in the actual BIOS setting so i could boot from a CD and everyhting seems to have gone fine and the system boots from the harddrive fine BUT it still restarts everytime i try to access the Boot Menu by pressing F12.

What is wrong? is it some sort of Hardware issue?

thanks,

Gregory Moore   

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi Gregory and welcome to the Gigabyte forum.

Have you cleared the CMOS ?

If not try doing this:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Yes I have been having the same problems!  :-\ I will try the suggestions stated above this weekend. This is my first build, I thought I had a bad motherboard or some other bad  hardware. I hope this is not the case.
GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 FF, i7 960 @3.28GHz, Gigabyte HD 6870OC 1GB, Patriot Viper II 12GB (3 x 4GB)@2002 DDR3, HDD SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB x2.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

It is probably quite fixable and hopefully if you clear the CMOS as described it should get you back on track again. If not please just post again.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB