Official GIGABYTE Forum

Enabling Dual Channel Memory

teknology9

Re: Enabling Dual Channel Memory
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »
Thanks for you replies. I have cleared the CMOS fairly recently but a good while ago when I changed CPU's I don't think I did. In terms of updated the BIOS I thought I had the latest F3J for the CPU that I use. If I have to reinstall that will mean uninstalling all the software and possibly new HDD's, if you could remind me how do I go about registering, if that's the right word, Windows 7 so I dont have any glitches?

Thanks,

Teknology9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »
Before you go down the path of reinstalling Windows you could try running something like CCleaner (from here: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER ) and running a registry scan and fix to see if that helps.

If you are going to reinstall Windows then I would suggest disconnecting all but the Primary HDD (the one you want to install onto) and your DVD/CD drive.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about registering Windows but if you mean Activation then you shouldn't have a problem and you can mark the box to Automatically Activate when Windows is on-line during the install process. Once you have installed windows you can reconnect your other HDD's and they should be automatically detected when you start-up. You will probably have to restart the PC once windows has installed their drivers.

You will then need to install the Motherboard drivers and the drivers for any other hardware that you have installed and then comes then fun of downloading ALL of the Windows updates (oh joy!)  ::)

If you have installed any programmes/software these will need to be reinstalled and possibly updated, once you have Windows up and running again.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

teknology9

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:55 pm »
Thanks for that Absic, I have CCleaner and do you mean the Windows registry scan? I do mean reactivate, thanks for the correction. I only want a IDE SATA set up, as it is easier, so there will not be any preinstallation of any drivers  I don't need to preinstall any drivers as I don't want a RAID set up even though I have 2 HDD's.  I have read your post on the 990FX-UD5 board and AHCI, but me thinks I might get a bit lost as I did trying to set up RAID once upon a time.

Just to add to the previous post, again, I have noticed on my LAN adapters there are power options and it has #2 and #3 not #1 and #2 for some reason. do I need to uncheck anything.  I really appreciate your help and I will clear CMOS again and if I have to reinstall then so be it.  :( :)

Thanks, I'm still going...........just :)
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »
Yes I mean the Registry Scan in CCleaner just to see if that helps.

Personally I would untick all of the boxes in the Realtek Power Management window unless you want to wake from LAN. If you are asking yourself "what's wake from LAN" then you don't need it!

If you are leaving everything in IDE then you should still disconnect your 2nd HDD if you reinstall the OS. This just prevents Windows from adding things where you don't want them as it does like to spread itself out if given the chance.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

teknology9

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
Thanks once again Absic. So to deactivate Windows 7, after uninstalling the software, do I delete the partition or buy  new HDD's as I cannot locate an option to deactivate? Last question...........honest!!! :) Would you opt for AHCI and not IDE for SATA 2 HDD's?

I ran CCleaner registry 104 issues.....blimey

Well, that's it for now.

Tek9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
You don't need to deactivate Windows or buy a new hard drive. If/when it comes to reinstalling the OS just BOOT from the Windows Install Disk delete the partitions and start again. If you change a lot of components and your Windows version is OEM then you might encounter activation problems but if your hardware is the same (you can change 2 components without problem) then everything should be fine.

There's not much to choose between AHCI and IDE Mode when it comes right down to it and you would probably do better staying with IDE Mode.

teknology9

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:32 am »
Thanks once again Absic. I have just done an extended CMOS clearance, overnight, so I will wait and see what happens now. I found this link about reinstalling Windows 7:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-windows-7-easily-step-by-step-guide/

If I follow these steps I should be ok.

If I decide to reinstall and stick to the IDE route which drivers should I install, please look at attachment, or should I just install everything?

Thank you for your patience and replies, DM too, I'm begining to get my head around the matter now.

Thanks,

Teknology9

Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 09:19:29 am »
When it comes to the drivers I would install the following and in this order:
AMD Chipset Driver
Graphics Driver - Download the latest version from the appropriate website
Realtek LAN Driver - You don't really need the diagnostic utility unless you encounter problems with your LAN Connection.
Realtek Audio Driver - You only need to install this if you are using the on-board sound. If you have a separate sound card use the correct drivers for that.
NEC USB3 Driver.

When it comes to reinstalling the Operating System I prefer to do a "Clean" Install. This involves wiping the HDD so no information is left behind and starting again hence the term clean.

teknology9

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 09:30:24 am »
When wiping the HDD, am I right in saying that there is an option to do that whilst reinstalling Windows 7, or do I just delete the volume?

Thanks,

Tek9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 09:33:23 am »
You might find this article helpful: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm as it goes through all the steps with screenshots.

teknology9

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 09:40:10 am »
Thanks Absic......again!!! :) I've sent you a PM and your help is much appreciated.

All the best,

Tek9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

teknology9

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
I have just had a BSOD whilst printing out a document, where is the dump file located? I can't seem to find the driver for the Canon Pixma iP4300, if it is printer related.
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB