PhenomIIx6 1100t
Ga-990fxa-ud5 motherboard
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz
Gigabyte gtx-580 graphics card
WD1002FEAX 1TB hdd
LG DVD/RW
Win7 64 bit OS
Bliss 1000W Gaming PSU

Some of my programs hang or won't run correctly on my system. Is this because of the RAM restrictions ( running at 1333MHz ) instead of 1600MHz?
Or do I wait for the programs, which are supposed to be WIN 7 compatible, to update to 64bit?

If this the wrong place for this question ,I apologise now for wasting your time

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Hardware Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »
hi there,

programmes hanging or not running smoothly can be caused by many things but usually it is to do with software rather than hardware.

Your RAM running at 1333MHz, instead of its rated 1600MHz would not usually be the cause of this, unless the RAM is faulty. I am running my own GA-990FXA-UD5 with 1600MHz RAM running at 1333MHz and have no issues but, it is always worthwhile testing the RAM just to make sure it is OK.

Another thing to be aware of is that Windows and some other programmes will shutdown or power back certain items when they are idle This can include HDD's PCIe Slots, Monitors, Wireless and bluetooth devices, which can show up as programmes seeming to hang. It is good practice to go through the Power Options in Windows and set these as you feel is best for your system. I tend to turn everything to disabled or High Power settings depending on what it is.

If you have installed any of the free Gigabyte software it might be a good idea to uninstall it and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:25:34 pm by Dark Mantis »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Alibaby

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

According to Microsoft it turns out that the software I was trying to run is not compatible with WIN 7 64bit, even though their upgrade advisor said it was.

Oh well I will have to wait for the software to catch up to my hardware.

Thanks again

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »
Well that's more than a little annoying, and you would think by now, that any software would be 64 bit compatible!  >:( It isn't even as if a 64 bit OS is new!

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Alibaby

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »
According to Microsoft half of my software was not compatible in WIN7 64bit and therefore not their concern even though the upgrade advisor said differently. The OS compatibility Troubleshooter says there is an issue.

Confusing and expensive for me and not helpful.

But at least this forum hasn't steered me wrong on my questions and been very patient and helpful with a lot of questions.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »
So what software is actually causing you the problems?

I'm running windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I haven't encountered any issues with the software that I am using.

Alibaby

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:54:38 am »
It is ConvertxtoDVD. According to them it's my hardware.

My brother runs Win7 64bit as well and he can't get it to run either.

Seems to run on on Win7 Ultimate ok but not on Pro or Home Edition.

Giving up on it until a 64bit version comes out.

Tried all compatibility modes and still hangs at the caching files stage.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Alibaby

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:13:24 pm »
Now they tell me it is my OS.

I is confused now

jolphil

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »
Hi

It is ConvertxtoDVD. According to them it's my hardware.

Sorry you are having problems but I too have ConvertX/DVD and the software to use it but I too know it is 32 bit software..
That makes me wonder if you can run a 32 bit windows XP virtual OS, using a program like virtualbox and load the necessary software
to make it work..Down the road I also may experiment with virtualbox..  Windows7 enterprise has a mode where it will run older 32bit programs..That may be another thing to look into..
Goodluck
jolphil

Alibaby

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestion but this lock up of my HDD is worrying, Don't want to risk expensive hardware for one program so I think I'll look for an alternative or wait for a 64bit release of the program.

Thank you for your time and effort everybody, it is very much appreciated.

Alibaby

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:31:14 am »
Their latest suggestion is to reinstall WIN7 and then reinstall the program. Are they kidding?

I don't think it is worth the effort anymore,next they will tell me to upgrade my hardware.

So not impressed.

Thanks for the help.

Alibaby

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »
Talked to a tech friend , he suggested a clean install as well. Will try it out and see what happens. I will let you know if it works. He told me if I can convert and burn using Imgburn successfully it must be something to do with Convert x.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:16 pm »
I would agree with your Tech friend. Since your original post I downloaded and installed ConvertXtoDVD on my Windows7 Ultimate 64 bit system and also onto my Windows7 Home Premium 64 Bit laptop and it worked on both.

Quite often, a clean install of the OS is a good step in resolving some software problems but it is an annoying thing to have to do. Whenever I install a clean OS, after installing the basic drivers and Windows updates, I create a system image so I can save a lot of grief and time,  if I have to reinstall because of a perceived software issue. This saves me a lot of time and also helps trace if the problem is software or hardware based.

I also make regular system back-ups, once I have run new software for a couple of weeks and am happy that the system is still running OK. That way, if I run into a problem, I can quickly restore my system to a configuration that I know is correct.  It took me a little while to realise the benefits of doing this but for the time it makes to create system back-ups, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Alibaby

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »
Taking your suggestions on board, will be doing it tomorrow.

Here's hoping.

jolphil

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 11:06:19 pm »
Hi,
I apologise for my previous post..I mis-understood that convertx/dvd you were referring to was downloadable software..I did not realise that until absic's post..I have a ConvertX device(Hardware and Software from Plextor)...It converts video/audio through the device to your computer via USB and allows you to create DVD's ..  The names were very similar.. Go figure.
Good luck with you reinstall,
jolphil