Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS update

BIOS update
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:17 am »
Hi!,
MB GA-X58-UD7 Ver1..Bios F7

I have not used QFlash before and have had limited experience Flashing the BIOS

Can I using QFlash update again using F7.
and or
Can I use QFlash update again and go backwards using  F6
Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BIOS update
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:13 am »
Hi there,

Yes, using QFlash you can update to F7 then, if you wish to, go backwards to F6 or earlier. Using QFlash is actually very easy and is generally a much safer method of updating BIOS.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:08:31 am »
Hi there,

Yes, using QFlash you can update to F7 then, if you wish to, go backwards to F6 or earlier. Using QFlash is actually very easy and is generally a much safer method of updating BIOS.

Hi! absic,
Thank you for your reply...Can I ask another Question?
My Board has dual BIOS ..are these both replaced at the same time? How can I check what is there in 'A" or "B" ?
Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:57:29 am »
Flashing BIOS will only update the main BIOS chip, the back-up BIOS will retain the original version.

To see which versions the chips hold press the F9 key when you are on the BIOS home screen.

To transfer current BIOS to the Backup chip so they both hold the same version press the "ALT" and "F12" keys at the same time during POST. You may have to try this a couple of times before it registers, depending on your keyboard. You will get a message about writing BIOS or some such (can't remember exact wording) but that's normal.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:39 am »
Flashing BIOS will only update the main BIOS chip, the back-up BIOS will retain the original version.

To see which versions the chips hold press the F9 key when you are on the BIOS home screen.

To transfer current BIOS to the Backup chip so they both hold the same version press the "ALT" and "F12" keys at the same time during POST. You may have to try this a couple of times before it registers, depending on your keyboard. You will get a message about writing BIOS or some such (can't remember exact wording) but that's normal.

Thanks a lot absec  will give it a go  :) :)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:19 am »
just thought I ought to say, it is often better if you can get both BIOS versions to match as it can help. If you flash BIOS and the Back-up version then go backwards remember to re-flash the back-up chip again as there can sometimes be issues if the BIOS chips don't match, especially if you are trying to recover the system.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »
I totally agree with absic there on this subject but I would like to point out that the whole reason for having a Backup BIOS is so that if there is anything wrong with the Main BIOS you can fall back on the Backup. If they both hold the same version this is no longer possible and so please make sure that the two BIOS versions are synchronised only after making sure that the Main BIOS is working alright.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
Hi! all.
Success...
Note your comments re backup BIOS Thanks
Here is a weird one for all...
When I first flashed the BIOS using the old method 6months ago (F7) I had problems with my DVD ..would only work OK if there was no A Drive ticked in the BIOS .. also when I tried to reload Win7 64bit Ultimate the install program kept asking for a DVD driver!!! and would not progress further!! always thought this might be due to the BIOS Flash hence my wanting to try QFlash...
After reinstalling F7 using QFlash my DVD drive was not reckonized by Win at all but was Oked by the BIOS!! so after mucking around for a while without any success I grabed an old DVD drive and Hey Presto everything OK!!.WEIRD!!
Has anyone else had something strange happen!!
Thank all

EyeDontKnow

• coccyx
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »
To transfer current BIOS to the Backup chip so they both hold the same version press the "ALT" and "F12" keys at the same time during POST

Does this also copy any custom settings you have made to the newest bios ?....or does it just copy a default version to the backup bios ?
“We live in a Newtonian world of Einsteinian physics ruled by Frankenstein logic”
=David Russell = (guitarist)
[/i]

GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD > Win7pro > i7-2600K @3.40Ghz > 16 Gb ram > GeForce GTX560 SC 2gig > Intel 510, 120gb SSD
> 500Gig  Momentus XT (x4) > Photoshop, Lightroom, etc

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »
It just copies the BIOS template as a default.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB