Official GIGABYTE Forum

880GM-UD2H AHCI problem

ameya88

880GM-UD2H AHCI problem
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »
When I use my PC in AHCI mode my windows 7 becomes very sluggish and hangs a lot!!. I had previously installed windows 7 with the AMD AHCI drivers and it had worked well without any problems during multi tasking but had to format because my windows was corrupt. Now when I try to install windows 7  with the AHCI drivers it hangs a lot. Even if I use the default AHCI drivers (after doing the registry change of msahci from 3 to 0) it still hangs when I try to multi task. When I shift from AHCI to Native IDE mode everything goes smooth.I have even tried installing the AHCI drivers during the windows installation (by using the load driver option) but still have a problem. Is it something to do with my hard disk being old (its around 5 yrs).

Here is my config :

AMD Athlon II X4 640
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H v1.4
4GB DDr3 1333MHZ Corsair
160 GB Western Digital
550 Watts SMPS

Hope you guys can help me!! Thanks a lot!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 880GM-UD2H AHCI problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:28 pm »
Hi there,

The problem could be due to the age of the Hard drive but it could also be due to other factors such as other hardware you are using and how you have your BIOS configured.

If you are not using a Floppy Drive then disable this in BIOS under Standard CMOS Features as this often helps.

If you have a SATA DVD/CD burner then attach it to one of the SATA ports numbered 4 or 5 and set the SATA Controller for OnChip SATA Ports4/5 to IDE as a lot of SATA DVD/CD Drives don't like running in AHCI Mode.

If you haven't actually installed the OS successfully yet then don't load any AHCI drivers and just use the native Microsoft version that comes with Windows7 as this tends to be better than the AMD one.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ameya88

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:48:12 pm »
Hi,

I have disabled Floppy drive since I don't have a floppy drive installed. I have attached my Sata DVD writer to port 4 and my Old WD 160 GB is on port 0. I have also set port 4/5 as IDE. I have  successfully installed the Windows 7 OS. Its only when I take the trouble of switching to AHCI do I get the problem of my PC hanging when I multitask or sometimes even when i just leave it alone. Even when I use the native Microsoft version I have the exact same problem. When I switch to Native IDe mode everything is smooth!!! The strange thing is AHCI mode was working fine until yesterday when I formatted my windows to install a fresh copy!!! I have tried installing windows in AHCI as well as IDE mode, in both I encounter problems. I too have a doubt that my old WD HDD is acting funny!!! Thanks for your reply!!. Do you think it could be anything else?? Will maybe installing a linux OS like Mint 11 help me find out whether my HDD is acting funny when switched to AHCI mode???

ameya88

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:39 pm »
I have even flashed my BIOS thinking that maybe my BIOS may have become corrupt!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:24 pm »
Hi again,

It seems strange that everything was working OK but is now causing problems and the obvious thing to look at, would of course be the HDD.

Trying to install a Linux distro is a good idea as, if you still have a problem, you know it is probably hardware rather than the OS causing the problem.

As a matter of interest what other hardware do you have installed on your system apart from the items you have already mentioned?
Also, are you overclocking anything?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ameya88

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:22:38 pm »
Other than the mentioned hardware I haven't installed anything!!! I don't' have a PCI card or a Graphic card!!! I have not overclocked. Everything is running at stock

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:44:57 pm »
You can download and run Western Digital Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to find the model number of your Western Digital product.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=602&sid=3&lang=en

I have a couple WD Raptor 74GB drives that are early models without SATA II NCQ. You should check if the model you are using mentions being compatible with SATA II NCQ.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

ameya88

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »
I have installed the Western Digital Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. Where can i find out that its has NCQ support? Thanks for your help.
My HDD is WD 1600JS-00MHB0 by the way!

ameya88

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:16 pm »
I just had a doubt, if my HDD didn't support NCQ shouldn't it just reject the AHCI driver completely ???

ameya88

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Hahahahahahahahahaha.........I just can't believe this!!!!! Tiger you were right My HDD does NOT support NCQ!!!!
I have absolutely no FREAKING idea how in the world it worked the last time when i had put AHCI drivers!!!!! Guess some things are hard to explain!!!!

ameya88

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »
Absic & Tiger thanks for your help!!