Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD7 Won't POST, Power button blinks blue, beeps continually

I recently got a GA-P67A-UD7 mobo to replace an older one and everything installed fine the first run through.

I shut down my PC to install my second GPU and the rest of my RAM, and after that was finished, it refused to boot up again or even POST.

Current Setup:
Corsair 600T White
GA-P67A-UD7
i5 2500k w/ stock cooler
Corsair AX850
HD6950
8gb Corsair Vengeance low voltage
Corsair GT 120gb

The symptoms at first were:

No POST
1 click from the PSU when I pressed the power button
MD1 LED was green, MD2 LED was Yellow
Power button on mobo was blue, not blinking

I tried taking out everything that I had just installed and got the same thing.

I then tried clearing the CMOS with the Clear CMOS button, and then by taking out the battery, but got the same thing.

After trying to clear the CMOS that way, I got no POST and the MD1/MD2 LEDs ceased to light up and a red S04_S05 LED lit up.

I gave up at this point and went back and reinstalled everything from scratch.
Now when I plug everything in, or just the bare essentials, all I get is a constant faint beeping from the mobo Power LED button as it forever blinks blue.

Anyone have any ideas? Tomorrow I'm planning on breadboarding it to see if it's something with the case/offsets, but barring that I have no idea what to do next.

I don't really have access to any other parts I can swap out for my PSU or mobo or CPU to test them that way, so I'm afraid I will be stuck RMAing something, although I'm not exactly sure what.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-P67A-UD7 Won't POST, Power button blinks blue, beeps continually
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:19 am »
Hi and welcome.

The chances are that you didn't observe the anti static rules and have damaged something when installing the extra parts. Failing that I would go for a short to earth somewhere. TRy removing everything from the chassis and rebuild bit by bit on the bench not forgetting anti static procedures.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hagroth

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »
I had a similar problem where the computer would shut off after ten seconds (a new build). The Award BIOS beeped several high frequency signals, which usually indicates CPU overheating. It turned out I had too much thermal paste and it works fine now that I have removed the paste and put a really small line instead.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:15:00 pm »
I had a similar problem where the computer would shut off after ten seconds (a new build). The Award BIOS beeped several high frequency signals, which usually indicates CPU overheating. It turned out I had too much thermal paste and it works fine now that I have removed the paste and put a really small line instead.

Quite a common mistake that of using too much TIM. This is one place where a case of more is certainly not better. You should use about the same size as a large  grain of rice.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:42:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies and ideas!

Since the PC ran at a normal temp for about 30 min before I put in the extra video card, I'm thinking the thermal paste is ok.

I did wear a static-eliminating wristband while installing everything, so I would be very disappointed if it was a static electricity problem.
I did some more research and found that the constant quick beep is indicative of a power problem, so i'm a bit afraid that mu psu may have died somehow. I'll do the breadboard testing later today, and I also left the CMOS battery out over night in case that was the problem.

Thanks again for the ideas and help. Will report back again.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 06:56:54 am »
Well, looks like the most probable source of the problem was the psu. It's totally dead now and I think it took my mobo with it.

I got another psu connected to test the mobo and the mobo smoked and crackled a little before I pulled the plug. The second psu is working fine again back in its original PC.

Now I'm going to be stuck RMAing the mobo and psu, and quite possibly a video card, ram and CPU if the psu and mobo took those with them when they died too. Will be testing that possibility tomorrow. I really hope the rest of the parts are all right.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:20:04 am »
I think that you are right there but I suspect that the motherboard had a problem and caused a short taking the PSU down as it was a good quality PSU and they don't normally cause problems like this when they go as they have built in protection. The Corsair AX series are the top of the pile  and I find it unlikely that it would have caused all this damage.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB