Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Issue

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Issue
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »
Hey everyone,

I have a recent issue with my desktop. Last night I noticed that my displays were off but my pc was still powered (Lights/Fans still on) I had to hard reboot, and about 10 minutes later nothing was responsive. I was on my desktop screen and I wasn't able to click anything. Keyboard was unresponsive as well. (Caps Lock and Num Lock wouldn't toggle) About a minute later the display looked distorted (artifacts?) then went dark. Had to hard reboot again. I've haven't had any BSOD either.I'm at work so I won't be able to try anything until tonight.

I did read the stick topic on RAM being over 1333mz. According to my BIOS the RAM was running at 1333mz. I didn't realize the importance of this until today. Hopefully it is fine.

Any help would be appreciated. If this isn't the correct location, please let me know and I will move it.

I bought this as a DIY Kit off of NewEgg in March 2011.

Here are my specs:

No Dedicated Video Card
-Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
-Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3
-Processor - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
-RAM - Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
-HDD - Phoenix 60GB SSD(OS) and Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD (Storage)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:18:26 pm by geogn4t »

Cuke87

Re: Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:39:23 am »
Hello i am an user with the same Micro and Mother, could you tell me whats the meaning of this line you wrote?

"I did read the stick topic on RAM being over 1333mz. According to my BIOS the RAM was running at 1333mz. I didn't realize the importance of this until today. Hopefully it is fine."

my ram is running at 1600 actualy, is there any problem?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:04 am »
Hi there,

I have to say that my first thought was a memory problem but reading through the thread again I'm not so sure. The symptoms you are describing would seem to be more like an overheating issue, possibly of the Northbridge.

Have you checked the sytem temperatures at all? If not it might be a good idea, just so you can get an idea of what is happening. I would suggest something along the lines of HW Monitor which you can download for free here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

@cuke87
There can be a problem if you are running your RAM above 1333MHz on AM3 processors. You might want to look through this sticky: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:39:03 am »
Got it figured out last night. It was definitely an overheating issue. I ended up redoing the thermal compound on the Northbridge (which was loose)  and on the CPU.

My SSD also failed on me. The reviews reported a high failure rate. I replaced it with a standard HDD. Everything seems to be fine now. I will install HW Monitor to keep an eye on the temps.

Thanks!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:33 am »
Pleased you seem to have got it sorted.

There have been a couple of instances where the Northbridge over heating, has been the culprit and as you say, keeping an eye on temps will definitely help.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.