Official GIGABYTE Forum

Power supply to CPU-GA X58A-UD9

Re: Power supply to CPU-GA X58A-UD9
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »
Hi Chjohans

Thanks for the info. I see that you have sli setup in your system and do you have both PCIE 12v_1 connected? I could not connect my top PCIE 12v_1 because of the rather large CoolerMaster V8 heatsink as well as the hybrid silent pipe in place! I'll do this some other time and might have to do away with the hybrid silent pipe if access is a problem.

I'm using a 1000W ThermalTake "galaxy" PSU and the power cables from the PSU can easily reach the 2 x 8pin ATX_ 12v_x2 connectors at the top left corner.

I'm also using a CoolerMaster HAF XL case which has so much room to accommodate the rather large board
 & it also has grommets allowing cables to be neatly arranged within the case

So you have also connected the other ATX _8-pin 12v_2x for the 24-phase power regulator on this board and that has answered my question

Thanks again

You don't need to connect both of the PCIE molex power connectors on the board so don't worry about the top one if it is "hidden" by some device or the passive Hybrid Silent Pipe cooler. One is quite sufficient even if 4 GPUs are used.

I connected both the PCIE molex connectors as well, just in case. I used low profile molex connectors instead of the usual ones to make it fit.

And actually my ATX 8-pin connectors could reach the connectors on the MB as well. But since I like my builds to be nice and neat I always hide the cables behind the MB so because of my cable management I needed those extensions.

Speaking of nice and neat, not only because of the look but also because of better thermal efficiency, it is always a good idea to do proper cable management.

I stopped using custom watercooling a couple of years ago after a major accident. So now I'm using a Corsair Hydro H70 liquid cooler and it's doing a pretty good job cooling my 990x which I run moderately overclocked at 4.2GHz 24/7. I guess one of those monster air coolers could probably bring down the temp a couple of degrees further but I like the size of the H70 and since I've configured my fans to pull the air out of the cabinet through the radiator. And I get pretty decent temps even when using the air inside the case to cool the waterloop. And my two 580GTX GPUs run cooler that way since the heated air from cooling the CPU never circulates inside my cabinet. the cabinet is a Coolermaster HAF X, the size is perfect for the large UD9 MB.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Power supply to CPU-GA X58A-UD9
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »
The HAF X or indeed any of the HAF range are great cases and hard to beat. They have good cable management fascilities and lend themselves to customisatioon and water cooling too if you like that idea. What I like in particular is the extra room they provide over the majority of cases. As you say they will even take a huge motherboard like the X58A-UD9 quite comfortably.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB