Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-A75M-UD2H NB Frequency

tacc

GA-A75M-UD2H NB Frequency
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »
I'm trying to get 1866 RAM to work on this board without it crashing my system every few minutes. I found a guide which requires to modification of "CPU NB Frequency" but I have no idea where to find it. All I got (from the things that I think are related) is:

CPU Clock Ratio
CPU Host Clock Control
CPU Frequency(MHz)
DRAM E.O.C.P
Set Memory Clock
System Voltage Control
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:04:47 pm by absic »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-A75M-UD2H NB Frequency
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:43 pm »
Hi there,

First off you might want to read through this sticky: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html as you may not be aware of possible issues with running your RAM at your desired speed.

If you wish to continue with overclocking your RAM could you post back with your systems spec's CPU, RAM modules etc?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:04:58 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

tacc

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »
Thanks for the fast answer. I was actually about to add more detailed info (totally forgot it) when I noticed the thread was gone.

It's not really an overclocking question though. I just want the RAM to run at the speed it's supposed to.

A8-3850
GA-A75M-UD2H
RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

That's what I try to follow
http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9043
http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

The Mainboard sets it to 1600 by default. A quick overview of the settings I tried (before looking up anything):

-----

DRAM E.O.C.P.
Disabled

Set Memory Clock
Auto
x8.00

System Voltage Control
Auto

"System Voltage Optimized"

Memory Clock is set to 1600

Result: Stable

-----

DRAM E.O.C.P.
Disabled

Set Memory Clock
Manual
x9.33

System Voltage Control
Auto

Memory Clock is set to 1866

Result:
"The system has experienced boot failures because of overcloking. Last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states.
Current CPU Speed: 29.0 X 100 MHz
Current Memory Speed: 1600 MHz"

-----

DRAM E.O.C.P.
DDR1866

Set Memory Clock
Manual
x9.33

System Voltage Control
Set itself to manual after selecting the E.O.C.P. Set it back to auto.

Memory Clock is 1866

Result: BlueScreen after several minutes ("A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer").
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:05:11 pm by absic »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »
Hi again,

sorry I moved the thread (I've put it back where you originally posted) but from the title I thought you were running a different motherboard which would have meant O/Cing the RAM.

OK now to the problem. Are you running the latest BIOS for the board? If not, I would recommend that you upadte to it as I notice there is modified memory compatability from the F3 version that might help.

You can download it from here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3928&dl=1#bios and I would recommend that you use QFlash to update the BIOS not the @BIOS software. Also, it would be a good idea to disable teh "Keep DMI DATA" option on teh QFlash homescreen before you actually run the update.

Note: Modified thread title to show correct motherboard.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:14:21 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

tacc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »
I updated the BIOS right away after assembling the PC (with @BIOS though). Always keep forgetting important info...

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
OK, a couple more things before we go any further.

Have you tested the RAM with MemTest to make sure the modules are OK? You'd be surprised at the amount of problems which are due to faulty RAM.

Have you inserted the RAM into the correct slots on the motherboard? They should be in slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_3
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:27:15 pm by absic »

tacc

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »
Did that (while it was clocked at 1600, but it shouldn't matter, right).

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:38:04 pm »
If it has passed MemTest then they should be OK.

The first thing I would try, rather than adjusting NB Frequencies is to up the voltage a little on the RAM. It should be running at 1.5V but I would try increasing this to 1.55V to see if that helps. Also check the RAM timings as they may need to be adjusted slightly from the AUTO settings.

It is worth bearing in mind that RAM running at 1600MHz with tighter timings will often give better results than RAM running at 1866 MHz with looser timings.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:39:34 pm by absic »

tacc

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »
Well, looks like the extra bit voltage did the trick. At least no crash so far.
Didn't want to mess with the voltages without any advice.
Thanks.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »
Because the motherboard supports your RAM speed it is actually better to up the voltage slightly on the RAM than to start playing with the frequencies and the such like. And, of course, it is easier to do which is always a good option.

With most DDR3 RAM you can raise the Voltage to 1.65V and still be within safe limits the only thig to consider is that you have a good airflow through your PC case to keep things cool as upping the Voltage will increase the RAM temperature slightly.