Gigabyte Lan optimizer but not for AM3+

Gigabyte Lan optimizer but not for AM3+
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:03 am »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte Lan optimizer but not for AM3+
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:23:38 am »
I  would imagine it is because the coding is dependant on the processor architechture and it may not be possible or at least as easy on the AMD platform. As with everything they tend to aim at the biggest market first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
Well, I guess that it is (officially) supported only on the listed Intel mainboards by Gigabite... but that does not mean that it may not work on other mainboards, it is simply not officially supported on them.
According to Gigabyte's answer, it needs a Realtek 8111E network controller chip; a guy(?) here reported it working on a Realtek 8111D network controller chip:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/1130468-gigabyte-lan-optimizer-but-not-am3.html

However, he also noticed that it increased his ping round-trip times by 10–15 ms, so he uninstalled that "piece of crap".
While I have no personal experience with it, I no reason to disbelieve him.
"Too much pain, too little gain"—too much coding work for questionable utility. From my understanding of what it does: it is simply a network traffic shaper. If you have no other processes using the network, it will not help. If your internet connection is shared, you had better set the so-called "quality of service" on the modem/router for greater gains.
Thucydides: "There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are injured."

Mario1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
I've contacted Gigabyte not so long ago and asked them what's up with that, here's their answer regarding this "issue" -
"Dear Mario ,

Thank you for your kindly mail. Kindly note that this software supports Realtek 8111E Network LAN Controller to monitor and manage your PC's network behavior. The press release tells user that currently we can guarantee those Intel models to support this software since it had passed examinations.

Since we are still working on AMD models, we are not able to guarantee the result of using it. If you want, you can try to use the utility from our download page.

Later on after verification, AMD should be able to support this software as well.

Regards,
GIGABYTE"