Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R rev1 - After adding an SSD what are my option for spare drives?

I've added a Vertex3 and am thinking about RAIDing two WD Caviar Black 1TB drives (1xWD1002FAEX SATA3 & 1xWD1001FALS SATA2)

I've installed windows to the vertex3 with AHCI enabled and have, after getting windows running, added the Intel RST driver, that's the correct thing to do yes?

I thought I'd just enable RAID and have a play, but I get a BSOD and had to revert my bios changes before I could reboot.

I'd like to have the two 1TB drive in a raid-0 if that's going to work out.  what's my best option.

currently the drives are:

OCZ-VERTEX3 - SATA2_0
WF1002FAEX - SATA2_3
WF1001FALS - SATA2_4

Thanks in advance,
Dog Ears.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
  Welcome Dogears  to the ONLY forum for real problems ;D

Under your present config......the easiest way for would be to put the SSD on another port temporarily (not the Intel) and set to ACHI and boot from this device in BIOS.......this way you can set the Intel controller to Raid/XHD (not the top XHD only) and install the drives you want to raid......hit Ctrl+I to enter the Intel raid setup.......config how you want them........after you have them setup and running sweet.......turn off Raid and back to ACHI on the Intel controller and reattach the SSD back on the Intel controller......make sure you prioritize the SSD as the boot device and all should huki-dorry after a boot or two......

Intel ICH10R allows up to two virtual systems to run on the one controller and once configured the raid will hold and run under ACHI

UPDATE:  Remember to have your Revo Driver on a thumb drive for the install..... it may not appear (The revodrive) until the driver is installed at the start of the install procedure

......Enjoy

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:40:35 am by Aussie Allan »
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS