Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD: Not Booting

NormanW

GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD: Not Booting
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »
I have built a new system with new components over this holiday week.  All items were sealed in their boxes and from computer stores.  At first turn on, there was nothing.  After opening the cover and trying again, still nothing.  The PSU is a Gigabyte Superb 720.  But I noticed when building the system that the ATX_12v_2x4 red connector, only the 6 pin block fits the motherboard.  The separately attached two pin block, pins 1 and 5,  are keyed differently to the block on the motherboard and will not fit.  Advice elsewhere on the web said these two weren't necessary.

After disconnecting the DVD and two HDD's I disconnected the red 6 pin lead and tried to boot.  This time, the fans started just for one second, then stopped, started again and stopped and didn't move again.

I removed the MB from the case and all the components to start again from scratch, then reinstalled the CPU and fan, a single RAM strip, one HDD and graphics card.  Same thing happened with two and one power connectors attached.  I tried different combinations of RAM and graphics card with the same result.  Although never powered up, I reset the BIOS just in case too.  There are no beeps from an attached system speaker.

Is this PSU compatible with this motherboard?  I have looked for a compatibility list without success.  The shop sold it to me as suitable!  I put a digital multi meter on the pins of the PSU and they all seem to be giving off the correct listed voltage.  That leaves either the CPU or the MB as faulty out of the box, unless someone knows something that I have missed please?

The system is:
GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.0 MB
Gigabyte Superb 720w PSU  GE-P610A-C2
Inter Core 7i 2600K CPU
2 x 2GB Kingman Hercules DDR3 Single Channel 1600MHz RAM
MAXTOR SATA3.0 260Gb HDD (O/S) model 6V250FD
2 x Winfast PX7600 GT-TDH 256Mb graphics cards
Plexstor SATA L890SA DVD writer
nondescript mouse & keyboard

Thank you

Norman

Inter Core 7i 2600K CPU
nondescript mouse & keyboa

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD: Not Booting
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »
Hi there,

from your description it seems as if you are trying to plug the PCI-E connector for a Graphics card into the 8 pin ATX socket on the motherboard.

You need to use the black 8 pin ATX/EPS CCPU power connector for the 8 pin socket near the CPU, which is made up of 2x4 pin Black blocks and maybe labelled P2 & P3
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

NormanW

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:42 pm »
Dear Absic

Thank you very much for that.  Just tried it and you are right, it worked and powered up first time!

There are two black plugs, side by side, which are unmarked and the keying is different to the MB socket, which is why I didn't think to try them.  Pin 1 is a square on both, and the rest fit.

Wish the instructions in the PSU had been a little clearer.  But thank you for the prompt and correct advice.

Norman
Inter Core 7i 2600K CPU
nondescript mouse & keyboa

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:16:37 pm »
No problem and pleased to have been able to point you in the right direction.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.