Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 : No Restart, Memory Config

GA990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 : No Restart, Memory Config
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »
I recently built a new system for a friend using the GA990FXZ-UD3 Rev. 1.0 board and an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T processor. This was a completely new build, with new hard drive, new graphics card, PSU, fresh Install of Win 7 Ultimate. BIOS was flashed to latest (F5) before installing operating system.  After successfully installing Windows, the system immediately starting  giving BSOD while trying to load drivers. I installed 8GB in Dual Channel, 1600Mhz, which the system recognizes and runs at 1600, however it does not read the timings correctly. The memory is specified for 9-9-9-24, however BIOS auto defaults it to 11-11-11-28. When I tried changing it to 9-9-9-24, the system said that I was trying to overclock and will harm my computer and would not let me keep settings. Then I changed DRAM config to Ganged, instead of default Unganged. I know this is not same as Dual Channel vs. Single Channel, and have also read that it may cause instability, but it seemed to have fixed the problem. However, after resolving that issue...another one emerged. The system began shutting down and failing to boot. The system fans would power on for a split second, then stop. After waiting a while, the system would power on, only to suffer random shutdowns. Well, figuring it may be PSU related, we ordered another high quality PSU, and what do you know...no more shutdowns. Well, finally..and the main reason I'm posting here today, is another issue. The system now starts and shuts down normally, and operates without error during normal use...however, when I try to RESTART from Windows, or after a system update and auto-restart...the system will not reboot. It will get stuck at post with a black screen. This requires a hard shutdown, then restart, which works fine. The system just will not restart once in Windows without having to do a complete shutdown. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? The CPU runs cool, with a Hyper 212+ with two fans in a push/pull config. Also the GPU is a 6870 series with latest drivers installed, and runs games fine. Right now restarting issue is the only major problem, however if anyone has any advise regarding getting the memory to run at 9-9-9-24 as specified, please let me know. I've read that the Phenom II processors are meant to run memory at 1333...should I lower the speed to that value, THEN try lowering the latency?? Would greatly appreciate any advise.

bfine20

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 : No Restart, Memory Config
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:35 pm »
Hi there,

I have come across the warm reboot issue on my own system and this was resolved in a BIOS update. As you are running the latest version you could try re-flashing with the F4 BIOS to see if that helps.

In an effort to get better stability from your RAM I would suggest that you run at 1333MHz but with tighter timings. If you could post back with the make and model of RAM you are using it would be easier to offer practical help in doing this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.