Official GIGABYTE Forum

Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 any good? What should I know about it?

Re: Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 any good? What should I know about it?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
The memory prices have just started dropping here again I noticed today.

I think that you are getting a bit mixed up between dual and triple channel kits. They are all the same spec modules but the important part is that they are all matched together in each kit be it Dual or Triple channel. In the same way as two dual channel kits can't be guaranteed to work together in the same system. That is why it is best to buy a matched kit of four modules if you want to run four sticks together rather than two dual channel kits. More often than not you will be lucky and they will all get on but it is not 100%.

Make sure that you mark all your modules to signify which kit they are part of because it is very easy to mix them up afterwards.

By the way it should be possible to lift the fan on the heatsink to make it slightly off centre and by doing so give a bit more clearance underneath for the closest modules.

Oh, oh, oh!  I never thought of lifting the fan a little to accommodate the larger heat sinks DM.  I will definitely look at it tomorrow and see how it works.

Thanks also for the huge tip in marking each module....I did not think of that too!  I will use the permanent marker for that immediately after opening the packages DM.

Finally, thanks for helping me to understand that the dual and the triple channel sticks in this situation are all about matching rather than different timings, architecture, etc.

Thanks DM, and hat off to you again!!!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:54 am »
Just glad to be of service Soar. Sharing rather than conforntation is always better. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

teknology9

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »
Sorry teknology you can get in big trouble for that from the "Jockey Club".

No teknology it was merely a joke. Don't take it to heart just a bit of the usual banter to keep everything lighthearted and stop things geting too dry and boring. No indication of your feelings for animals I assure you!

Well I don't know what to make of this.....I pm'd you about your comment......no reply

I asked you if you were alright, being a friendly person that I am,.....no reply

And all along.....it was one of your jokes.....I can't see any smiley faces etc.

Oh well.....its a new day and I'll carry on being my friendly self helping where I can......just hope what write isn't taken out of context as I do.

Yours happy Teknology9   :D
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:40:46 pm »
No problem from my end teknology. I didn't get your PMs as I wasn't online last evening when you apparently sent them and to be honest I didn't even understand them until I saw your post on this thread earlier!  I didn't really expect you to strap a rocket pack to your horse!  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

teknology9

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »
I didn't get your PMs as I wasn't online last evening when you apparently sent them

"last evening" is when you replied to my post. ???  :o

I didn't really expect you to strap a rocket pack to your horse!

NEVER have...... NEVER would. ::)

I didn't even understand them until I saw your post on this thread earlier! 

So you read them and still didn't reply.....enough said.

Anyway.....I'm getting back to helping people on the forum....if I can.....and hopefully words written will not be taken out of context.

Teknology9

Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
I have just built a system in the last couple of weeks based on this mother board using an FX 4 core with two sticks of  4GB of Corsair memory in slots 1 and 2.
Having made sure all the connections were present and correct I switched on the fresh out of the box assembly, everything came to life without any hassle. Over a period of time I loaded Win 7 Ult. 64 BIT and all the latest drivers plus a wagon load of Windows updates. The system has performed flawlessly apart from one or two self inflicted problems, absolutely no regrets about anything and am really pleased with the results.

My reason for selecting the 4 core CPU was, that I felt, that in the future the Bulldozer CPUs would mature, when the time was right, I could upgrade without the regret of having to ditch an expensive piece of kit.

I have recently installed a SCSI HDD Promise controller, 320GB plus a 500GB pair of Hitachi PATA disks from my previous computer, which all works well and considering the price HDDs at the moment, is quite satisfying.  
OS Win 7 Ultimate SP1 64Bit
MOB:Gigabyte GA-MA 990FX-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-4 Quad Core 4100BE
RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
PSU: OCZ Modxstream Pro 600W silent
CASE: Fractal R3
GPU: XFX HD6870 1GB DDR5
HDD: WD1002FAEX CB SATA 3

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 10:52:49 pm »
I have just built a system in the last couple of weeks based on this mother board using an FX 4 core with two sticks of  4GB of Corsair memory in slots 1 and 2.
Having made sure all the connections were present and correct I switched on the fresh out of the box assembly, everything came to life without any hassle. Over a period of time I loaded Win 7 Ult. 64 BIT and all the latest drivers plus a wagon load of Windows updates. The system has performed flawlessly apart from one or two self inflicted problems, absolutely no regrets about anything and am really pleased with the results.

My reason for selecting the 4 core CPU was, that I felt, that in the future the Bulldozer CPUs would mature, when the time was right, I could upgrade without the regret of having to ditch an expensive piece of kit.

I have recently installed a SCSI HDD Promise controller, 320GB plus a 500GB pair of Hitachi PATA disks from my previous computer, which all works well and considering the price HDDs at the moment, is quite satisfying.  

Toolman,

Now that is very good news!  I like your word flawlessly....Thank you for sharing your experience and now I look forward to experiencing a successful build too.

Yes, I fully understand about the crazy prices on those HD's due to the flood in Thailand.  I recently was able to purchase some external 2TB HDD for $75 per unit and I plan on ripping them apart and use them for internal builds. This was the only way I could find to avoid paying $200+ for a simple 2TB external HDD!  Crazy days we live in isn't it?

Well, the good news is several people are predicting the HDD prices will drop back to normal by March of 2012.  Until then, I suppose I will become an expert at ripping external HDD's apart for internal usages.

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

jimdot

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 11:30:41 am »
I was just reading this post & it brought up some questions I've had for awhile about processors & stepping & how it works. If I understand it correctly stepping is just a newer version of code for the processor,,, correct? Then that leads me to the next few questions. Is it something you can update your processor with? How is that done? From whom do you get the new code,,, the processor manufacturer or via the mobo maker???.

I have a 1st gen AMD FX-8150 & I know there are issues with the memory controller being able to run 4 slots at 1866MHz so I'd like to be on the look out for any new revisions in the future that might resolve that & therefore my questions.

I'd much appreciate anyone whom can unconfuse me about all this  ::)

Thanks in advance,  Jim

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »
Hi UK and Gigabyters (bite me, hehe),

I just bought the same Motherboard, the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3.

And Yes, I check after bying, hehe ...

The other forums are boring and this here caught my attension ...,

But the only reason why I registered here, is absic.

This user write in a so nice and fresh way, that I could not resist to say Hello and Thank You for the infos!

It is one of these people who write in a way that the writing gets in the mind converted to words. I was thinking while reading his comments, that the computer was speaking to me. Well done!

nice greetings from Thailand
Frank

Frank L.
KTTL - Royal Thai Police
Federal Police, Headquarters
Bangkok, Thailand