Official GIGABYTE Forum

do Gigabyte boards beep for over-temperature? low voltage?

do Gigabyte boards beep for over-temperature? low voltage?
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:15:29 am »
I have a GA-P31-DS3L that started beeping today (mainboard speaker, not sound card).
First just a few seconds, then 10 seconds pause, then beeps get longer until it were continuous.
I wondered if this means CPU hot. It is a hot day where I am. It is a used board that I got in winter,
and was okay until now. Although it has a Core 2 Duo with a bigger cooler from a Pentium D,
so should be safe. I went to BIOS and raised the warning from 60 to 70 degrees. Now it beeps less:
just when linux boots, then stays quiet.
But then I noticed in the BIOS PC Health that CPU temperature is well under 60 - in fact it is less than the ambient temperature,
so the sensor must be faulty, and then how could it think it is too hot?
What else might trigger alarm? One of the voltages going too low?
(all fans are running at usual speed)
 ???

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: do Gigabyte boards beep for over-temperature? low voltage?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:43:37 am »
Happy Christmas!

The BIOS alarms are only for temperature and fan failure normally depending on the motherboard. You can see what is set and to what level in the BIOS as you have already found.

It sounds to me more like something faulty like a motherboard temperature sensor or something similar. I take it that it boots all right and then has problems when it is running ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:23:44 am »
Happy Christmas!

The BIOS alarms are only for temperature and fan failure normally depending on the motherboard. You can see what is set and to what level in the BIOS as you have already found.

It sounds to me more like something faulty like a motherboard temperature sensor or something similar. I take it that it boots all right and then has problems when it is running ?
I tried again in cool of the morning, and I get same beeping during bootup - ceases after logged in. I can't read CPU temperature from linux, but
can see the core frequency: it is at 2000 MHz instead of 2333. That suggests thermal management has kicked in. If I feel the heat sink at the bottom (near CPU not fan) it is still cool. The BIOS temperature sensor appears faulty - but in wrong direction to cause this alarm.
Possibly it has intermittent fault, and most of the time reads too low, then occasionally flips out and reads too high?
I disabled the CPU smart fan control, just have it running full on. Also has rear case fan running at full speed to draw warm air out.
I have a gut feeling the power supply is suspect. It is a cheap nasty job with magneto-striction hum and tiny screaming fan. Some of the
voltages are low, but not so low as to cause failure. I would get a better replacement, but the decent PC shops in my city are closed until January 3 or so.
There are no mysterious crashes or errors. I can run memory test until the cows come home.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:28:03 am »
If you are using the stock cooler or one that is fixed in the same way by the push pins I would advise checking thjat all four corners are fixed down tight as they do have a tendancy for one of the pins to come loose and then of course the cooler fails to make good contact with the CPU and it will appear to be cool even though the processor is in fact getting too hot.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »
I figured out what was going on - the CPU fan was slowing down enough to trigger the no fan alarm. So I thought the fan is
seizing up. I replaced the fan and same problem.  I noticed the SYSFAN2 connector was free, and tried it on there, then
changed settings in BIOS for no CPU fan and alarm on SYSFAN2 instead. No more trouble, except fan be now a bit louder.
So the circuit driving the CPU fan is stuffed. Although why it seems to drop out at mostly the same stage when starting the PC
is a bit weird.
 ;D