Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X58A - UD5 sometimes no boot!!!

Gigabyte X58A - UD5 sometimes no boot!!!
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »
Hello , i have an ssd Intel X-25MG2 80GB in achi mode and in Sata 0 port , i also have 3 more HDDs and one DVD/RW (all of them in achi mode),
my problem is  that sometimes when i start the pc it says  : "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

any solutions?is there any "right" way to plug the HDD and DVD/RW in sata ports?

ps. my bios version is FD and sorry for my english :)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte X58A - UD5 sometimes no boot!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
Hi

You said that you have your boot drive the SSD I take it on the SATA 0 port. There is no such port as that do you mean the SATA2_0 ?  If so that should be fine. I wouldn't recommend running the optical drive in AHCI mode as it has been known to cause problems with some drives. It would be safer to have it on a ddifferent controller and set it to IDE mode instead.

Apart from that I don't see anything wrong with what you have posted. You could try clearing the CMOS by following these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB