Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-S2H Upgrade problems up to 8 GB with *Single-Sided* modules

Space

Hi,
i got the Gigabyte-EG41MF-S2H for quite some time and like to upgrade it up to 8 Gbs of ram. I know about the "Single-Sided issue" with the Intel G41 limitaions when using all 4 memoryslots. Because of this i bought (they are incredibly hard to get - it has been quite an epic and hilarious story - but with success) 4 Single-Sided modules á 2GB. So i have two pairs, all modules are from the same manufacturer, the have an equivalent design, the same memory.

But - and this is where i get mad - the mainboard doesn't want to recognize the modules in any combination. I am quite sure that the ram is not defect - they are new and in 4 GB combination by twos they run perfect.

So is there any chance to get 8GBs to work?? May a Bios-update help? Unfortunately there is no chance to see which improvements are integrated in the last "Beta"-update for my mainboard. And i am not to just flash around for fun, without knowing that it might have any effect.
Do i have to adjust anything in the bios menu?

Thanks for help in advance!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi and welcome.

It is quite possible that the different memory modules are just not compatible. I know what you said about the same make and model etc but sometimes even that doesn't guarantee that they willl work together. This is why it is always safer to buy a matched kit. These are actually tested electrically for compatibility with each other.

What are the modukles make and model number anyway ?

It would be worth running Memtest as follows though just to prove that the modules are all ok.

Please follow these instructions exactly.

I would suggest that you download and run the latest version of  Memtest86+ to check your RAM first.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:16:12 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB