Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD3R Noise

Para

GA-P55A-UD3R Noise
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »
Hello, I have a (the?) noise problem with my motherboard (GA-P55A-UD3R) which has only just started to happen with a new power supply (HX850).

Main specification and dates of purchase/installation for reference:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R (2010-06)
Intel Core i5 750 (2010-04)
Corsair HX Series 850W (2011-11)
Asus Radeon EAH5850 DirectCU 1024MB (2010-04)
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (2011-04)
Windows 7 Professional x64 (2011-09 Installation on M4 128GB SSD)

The previous power supply (HX750) died in a power outage but didn't cause the noise with the Gigabyte board. Nothing apart from the PSU has changed - same settings/setup as previously. I don't think any other components took damage during the the loss of power.

However, the (now deceased) 750w power supply did cause "the noise" on a different board (P7P55D-E PRO), two of them to be exact, which is why I went with a different manufacturer.

Here's two threads with my previous (fun) issue on the ASUS boards a year ago:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=187607
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274561-12-1156-recommendation-5850

Anyone with a P55/A ever solve this noise? Do all old and current i3/i5/i7 boards suffer? I'm reading similar issues with SB setups.
The whole combination and variation of parts causing "the noise" is getting a little silly. I got drained last year trying to solve it. That noise is a tormentor.

The noise is effectively a ringing/whistling noise which happens throughout the boot cycle and and during Windows. The sound is constant unless the processor is stressed which lessens the frequency. The sound really cuts through the air. It's really on the top edge of hearing.

I've tried the newer BIOS (F13 and F14b) and updated drivers. I've disabled most of the power saving settings (C-STATE), tried a fixed vcore and played around with Windows 7 power saving plans (Minimum Processor State makes little difference overall). At best, the sound is dulled, but typically returns. I can't identify if it's a specific voltage or circumstance (apart from unstressed) which makes the noise. I believe it's a hardware "coil whine" issue.

Similar to before, I've tried narrowing down the specific location of the noise and applied a toothpick/rubber to dampen the noise but I've been unable to find the part emitting the resonance. My fear is that it's located under one of the passive heatsinks.

I've known about the GA-X58A-UD3R noise, what does the "hardware fix" entail - hot glue, board revision?
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=1426.0
Do the rev. 2.0 boards have a resolution to this problem?

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: GA-P55A-UD3R Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:10:11 pm »
Hi Para,  ;)

Welcome to the forum,

In the BIOS, have you try disable C1E and speedstepping.

Check if you have again noise... more or less...

Come back here... for comments.

Gloup_Gloup