Official GIGABYTE Forum

Kingston HyperX ssd slow boot

Kingston HyperX ssd slow boot
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »
Hi All!!!!

I'm not sure whether this is the right section for this but hopefully someone can give me hints and help me out. I've got a high-end X58 system 990x, G1 Asassin motherboard, Kingston hyperX 240gb ssd, dual 6990's & 1500w silverstone strider power supply. Now I have been trying to get my system to boot-up faster because I always see people on the youtube using P67 systems getting really good boot-up times but when I use my more powerful system I can't get those sorts speeds and even in benchmarks not hitting the advertised speeds. My ssd is plugged into the Marvell 9182 controller supplied on the motherboard.

I just wanted to know if there was anyway of getting my boot time faster. (Btw) my boot times are from bios loading through to usable windows around 40 seconds; it takes the longest when trying to load windows which takes around 20 seconds and that's without the welcome screen appearing. I'm wondering, do you think the long boot times could contribute to the amount of high-end equipment that is in my system that has to be start-ed up each time the computer starts and that could be why my boot-times are slower? Usually around windows it's fast with the occasional whole windows freezing up but that is here nor there.

Regards,
Jonnyboy0022

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Kingston HyperX ssd slow boot
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:36 am »
Hi and welcome.

The first thing you need to know is that you have the SSD, which I presume you are using as the boot drive, connected to the slowest port on the motherboard. The Marvell 9128 controller chip was a dead loss and so I would suggest that you use it's ports for optical drives and backup drives etc. The best and fastest port for your SSD is SATA2_0 so I suggest that you move it there. This controller (ICH10R) should be configured as AHCI mode. All this will probably require a re install of the OS.

In the BIOS disable anyuthing that you don't use as it all takes time to load and check for. Also enable quick boot and disable the full screen logo and the floppy drive. Well I guess that you get the general idea. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB