Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68MA-D2H-B3: onboard video problems, color distortion

Z68MA-D2H-B3: onboard video problems, color distortion
« on: December 12, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »
I work for an integrator and we have recently tried to standardize on the mentioned motherboard, but we've run into a problem. While idling in Windows we experience a condition whereby the display suddenly changes to a distorted mess of all colors (blue, green, red, yellow, etc) and the desktop is not view-able. This problem occurs a random amount of time after the system is powered one, between 5 minutes to more than 24 hours.

When the problem does not occur I can push the power button and the system does a soft shut down, as normal. However, when this display problem occurs and I push the power button nothing happens, which leads me to deduce that the problem is more than just display. I may add that we have also seen this same exact problem with the H67N-USB3-B3.

When I contacted Gigabyte support about it (many months ago) they suggested a few things, including booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the problem still occurs, and it did, which points to this problem not being VGA driver-related. I forget where we left off in the end, but the issue was not resolved and we had to transition to a different motherboard.

Below are my specs. The common denominator between the two boards is the processor, but we tried the same processor on an Asus board and have not seen this issue.

i7 2600k 3.4GHz
8GB 1333MHz RAM (2x 4GB, several different manufacturers)
Seagate ST2000NM9911, Crucial M4-CT064M4SSD2 for OS, both exhibit problem
7-64 Pro, latest win updates
All latest motherboard drivers from Gigabyte website
All default BIOS settings, except we use RAID mode on SATA controller
NO OVERCLOCKING EVER

Additional info:
Using Speedfan, CPU temps never above 40 degrees F, meaning issue is not thermal. Other components are cool as well.
Problem happens while doing anything whatsoever, copying data to/from drives, idling in Windows.
As I mentioned above, problem is present on H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard using i7 2600K processor as well.

If anyone has experienced this and was able to resolve it, let me know. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Z68MA-D2H-B3: onboard video problems, color distortion
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:48 am »
Hi J1beyond,  ;)

I assume you have Windows  7 64bit...

I assume you have this drivers :

Intel VGA Driver   15.22.50.64.2509   37.77 MB   2011/09/19
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_vga_intel_vista_w7_64_6series.exe

What is your exactly Brand and Model of Monitor? Is it a CRT or TNT monitor...?

Have you tried a Degaussing your Monitor? This is the process of decreasing or eliminating an unwanted magnetic field.

Maybe make a change about a color in Setting Monitor...

Ather source problem... Your monitor is old, or color is used because by exemple Brightness and Contrast controls are high level for too long time.

Have you a chance try with a new monitor... ( not old monitor if possible...)...

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:13:04 pm »
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

Yes, 7-64 Pro latest updates.

On Z68MA-D2H-B3 I tried 8.10.14.2418

8.15.10.2509 is the driver you provided and I will try that next.

On H67N-USB3-B3 I tried (at the time) the latest offered by Gigabyte and the latest offered by Intel (the versions escape me). Interestingly, however, as I mentioned in my original post, this problem occurs in safe mode, suggesting that it may be unrelated to driver version.

All monitors we tested with these two boards are LCD, and thus do not require degaussing. Below are make/model:
ViewSonic VX1962wm
Samsung SyncMaster 243T
Acer AL1912

The problem with checking brightness and contrast controls is that this problem is not 100% reproducible. The amount of time it takes for the problem to present itself is somewhat random and makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Currently I have two identical systems set up (same driver, above mentioned) - one that has shown the problem and one that has not (yet). I will leave them running until I see this problem once more.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »
I wanted to mention also that the whole system crashes - this isn't simply a matter of distorted video. As I described in my original post, the power button does not initiate a soft shut down as it normally does. Seeing as how display is simply something that is fed out of the VGA/DVI ports on the motherboard, I am not convinced that a monitor or its brightness/contrast setting is causing the system to have this problem.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:08:49 am »
Depending on what the setting is in the BIOS the power button should either perform an Instant Off which is the default setting or if enabled will only shut down once held for four seconds. Anything less than that will provide a suspend mode but that is only if this option is selected in the first place.

What make and model of power supply are you using and how old is it ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »
Depending on what the setting is in the BIOS the power button should either perform an Instant Off which is the default setting or if enabled will only shut down once held for four seconds. Anything less than that will provide a suspend mode but that is only if this option is selected in the first place.

What make and model of power supply are you using and how old is it ?
I appreciate the response, and don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't my issue. I am aware of the power button, what it does, and how to change it in the BIOS.

What I am saying is that when the system is working normally the power button behaves one way (performs a soft shut down), and when the system demonstrates the problem I have described the power button behaves another way (does NOT perform a soft shut down).

In other words, this is not merely a display issue. This is a system freezing, Windows becoming inaccessible, and the output of the motherboard display ports changing to distorted rainbow lines.