Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte newbie, my CPU setting don't appear to be auto detecting

I have the GA-MA785G-UD3H mobo and an AMD Phenom II X4 945 (HDX945WFGIBOX).  I flashed to the F4 BIOS this morning and noticed the HT speed is 200MHz.  It's been a very very long time since I set all of the speeds and timings myself.  All of the mobos I've had in the past have properly detected everything, and I simply tweaked from there.  Is there a known list of settings for each CPU to make sure I get my system configured optimally?

Cheers,
Scott

Beekeeper

Re: Gigabyte newbie, my CPU setting don't appear to be auto detecting
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:21:18 pm »
how is your CPU detected at the first bootup screen (POST)?
if like Phenom II X4 945 then no problem imho. as bios F4 is OK for your CPU
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:35:34 pm »
I will check that.  Is there a utility that Gigabyte provides to verify this information?  It's hard to trust what "Auto" means, especially when I see 200MHz grayed out for the HT speed.

Scott

Beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:43:01 pm »
EasyTune6, should be bundled on the disc with your mobo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 01:09:16 am »
I see one problem that might be related.  My BIOS is actually at F1, not F4.  Even though I have used @BIOS twice to do the update, it isn't actually doing it.  Going to try the other method now to see if it'll stick.

Thanks for all of the tips.

Cheers,
Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 02:46:01 pm »
For whatever reason @BIOS wasn't installing the new firmware.  I used the built in BIOS flash software and it is now at the latest.

Now if only my memory settings would stay at 1066, and the machine would stop rebooting everytime I connect something USB...

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »
If you go into hardware setup (via control panel - system device manager) and remove all usb drivers and then reboot,
does this help?

Beekeeper

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:23 am »
For whatever reason @BIOS wasn't installing the new firmware.  I used the built in BIOS flash software and it is now at the latest.

Now if only my memory settings would stay at 1066, and the machine would stop rebooting everytime I connect something USB...

i never user @BIOS, only use Q-Flash (inside the bios)

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:36 am »
I just figured out the cause of my USB reboot issue, but I have no clue how to solve it.  It isn't related to a USB IRQ conflict or driver conflict or anything like that.  It must be some sort of physical protection or limitation in either the motherboard or the PSU.  I had suspected I wasn't even connected the USB device sometimes before it would instantly reboot.  Tonight I got my verification.  I reached over and bumped it 90 degrees off so it couldn't make contact.  I live in a very dry area so static can be a problem sometimes and I saw a slight spark between the shielding of the USB device and the USB connector on the case.  It rebooted instantly.  Is this a PSU thing, or a motherboard thing?  Is there something I can do about it?  None of my other computers do this.  It's very annoying.

Scott

Beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »
could be static electricity indeed. does it happen when you connect usb pendrive to rear usb ports or front ones ?

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:02:27 pm »
could be static electricity indeed. does it happen when you connect usb pendrive to rear usb ports or front ones ?

No.  That is what is odd about it.  It only happens when I connect USB devices to the front port, and I don't even have to actually connect it.  If I turn it 90 degrees and get it close enough it'll instantly reboot.  I can even zap with my finger the front ports and it'll reboot, and the back will not.

I spoke with Antec and they are sending me a new USB module to try.  Hopefully that will solve the problem.  Hopefully, that is what it is and it isn't related to the mobo in any way.

Scott