Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-A75M-UD2H & RAID problem

rickh

GA-A75M-UD2H & RAID problem
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
Currently running Windows 7 on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H with RAID Option ROM Version 3.3.1540.11 .

Currently having some challenges with this. Initial RAID1 setup worked fine but was on a pair of SATA 160Gb drives and of course ran out of space fairly quickly.

Attempted to install SATA 500Gb drives and struck problems so looking for advice please. My cunning plan was to break the RAID1 mirror by disconnecting a 160Gb drive, adding the 500Gb drive to the Logical array, boot to W7 and use RAIDxpert to rebuild new drive. Once complete, power off, replace the remaining 160Gb drive with second 500Gb, add to Logical  array so now there’s 2 x 500Gb drives in the Logical array, boot to W7 and again use RAIDxpert to rebuild drive. Or so I thought.

I understood that in a RAID environment in the event of a drive “failure” you could simply add another drive of equal or greater capacity and rebuild.

Process to date:

Broke RAID1 mirror by removing one of the drive connections and booting up off remaining drive. AMD RAID ROM recognised drive “failure” at boot, PC booted up ok and RAIDxpert issued Critical warning alert as expected.

Shut PC down, removed 160Gb and added 500gb on same interface. Power up.

”New” drive was present and recognised but no matter what I did, RAID ROM would not add new physical 500Gb drive to existing (remaining) Logical 160Gb drive in RAID.

To prove new 500GBs drives ok I created another logical RAID1  - all ok – so it’s not the drive(s)

Am I doing something wrong or missing something here? I can’t see the point of this RAID implementation if you cannot simply replace a failed drive with another larger drive.

Look forward to any assistance, thank you.

Payne

Re: GA-A75M-UD2H & RAID problem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:56:12 am »
were you successful? if yes please share your experience.