Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD3R - can't use more than 3 sticks of RAM, memtest fail...

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: X58A-UD3R - can't use more than 3 sticks of RAM, memtest fail...
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 04:48:15 am »
Hi Azure Prower,

I read your answer.
But I also read the manual for this motherboard.
There is no mention of the use of single sided memory.

Normally this is mentioned in the documentation if it is a requirement for the single sided.
Or if Dual sided is not accepted.

Finally I've seen the manual mentioned.
But I do not know if it was from Gigabyte.

I have a suggestion, XLR have a possibility to could reduce (release) the timings of the ram in the BIOS.
He could also disable XMP profile and use the JDEC profile.

Just for see if the situation change. if situation are better.

EDIT01:

I have a comprehension about dual sided : this Ram put more of an electrical load on a motherboard.

Ohhh, I remember... sometime the chipset is a limited factor.  

I search about this.

EDIT02:
About CPU:
In this source : http://ark.intel.com/compare/47932
I view :
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)   24 GB
Memory Types   DDR3-1066

So initially, I still say that in Bios, there must be change, not only in terms of timing of RAM, but also in terms of frequency memory like 1066.

But I view this : # of Memory Channels   3
So why manual of Gigabyte said : dual  or tree channel is accepted?
In pratice, in fact, normaly is possible place a Ram in single, dual or triple channel. If the motherboard is for tree  channel .. I think.  ???

Finally, perhaps not with 24 GB of Ram. But say with 8 GB in 4x2Go or 6 GB in 3x2Go.
Even though I know that it is better in principle to have fewer stick of memory. Like 2x4Go.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:04:08 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:13 pm »
Hi friends,

In the Bios, the timings, QPI/Vtt,  DRAM voltage and memroy controller voltage, have a needs a tweaking for this situation : Full bank of memory is populated.

So, ensure in Bios, you have a correct parameters.
Adjust the tension of the ram to get 1.5 volts.
Relax the timings of the ram for less than 9-9-9-24.

Check the result in windows with CPUID CPU-Z. See SPD Tab, check JEDEC less than 9-9-9-24.
You can enter the value of JEDEC in the Bios.

While it is defintiely possible that two kits would run together in the same system, there is a chance that you may need to reduce the speed of the memory due to motherboard chipset limitations when populating more than one memory module per channel on the board.  If you have problems mixing sets, it is suggested to manually lower the frequency of the memory.

Adjust the speed of ram at 1066 for start.

In Bios, in the section of MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker), in the Advanced Frenquency Settings:
Put Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) to Enabled.
Systeme Memory Multiplier (SPD) To Auto
Memory Frequency (Mhz) To 1333 or 1066 (check it)
if not display put DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) in Quick Mode, and change manually the value of Profile DDR Voltage.

Take a time for read your manual of motherboard.

=====================================
But if you do not ensure about actuals parameters in BIOS, Begin whit this instructions:

I cited Dark Mantis's instructions :

Hi

The first thing to try is to clear the CMOS. Please follow these instructions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Maybe try with just a one stick of Ram.
When things go better with a single stick of ram, you gradually add others.

Set Disable in Bios at QuickBoot if you have it.
Set Disabled in Bios at Full Screen Logo Show.

Gloup_Gloup.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:13:11 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Carvetii

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:33 am »
 Hi folks,
 I came across this older post several weeks after it ended and was surprised. Since my son's X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0 system has been running a mixture of 2X 8Gb of Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G and 1X 8GB G.Skill Sniper F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR for a total of 24GB of Ram with zero problems for the last few months.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1333C9D3B1K2_8G.pdf

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=337

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 01:32:42 am »
Hi Carvetii,  ;)

Welcome to forum,

Good to know.
Have you made changes to the BIOS in order to facilitate the mutual condition between the sticks of ram?

Gloup_Gloup

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 07:56:47 am »
I came across this older post several weeks after it ended and was surprised. Since my son's X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0 system has been running a mixture of 2X 8Gb of Kingston KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G and 1X 8GB G.Skill Sniper F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR for a total of 24GB of Ram with zero problems for the last few months.

Hi

Certainly a lucky man!  As a matter of interest are the two different makes/models of memory using the same make of RAM chips as this is sometimes the case and would explain why these two apparently different sticks are working together ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Carvetii

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »
 Hi again,
 I think it's just a matter of combined component tolerances of the MB if it will or will not correctly run different types of Ram. Call it luck or what ever but, this dirt cheap (e..y  auction $50) MB seems to run any type of Ram while another MB can be sensitive to what Ram they use.  The longest MB has run  torture test like Mem86 is for 10 Hrs without a hiccup or error. In fact as an experiment when the first installed I ran BLCK up to 190 with 6gb of cheap Crucial Ballistix Sport PC3-10600 Ram for 3.9K OC .But, of course the core temps soon became to high in the Prime95 torture test. And, without any changes other changes to BIOS other than BLCK.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:49:54 am »
I would agree that tolerances are an important aspect but I would say that it is more than likely down to the memory controller itself. Anyway, for whatever reason at least they work together!  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB