Official GIGABYTE Forum

Computer shutdowns after some time of being turned on (with weird beep code)

I've a GA-P67A-UD4-B3 with an i5 2500K, 2x4GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaw series, an ATI Radeon 6950 and a PSU CoolerMaster GX650. The computer works ok most of the time, I have both linux and windows installed with dual boot.

But sometimes after being on for some time, the mobo small speaker makes three short (about half a second) beeps three times, like BEEP-BEEP-BEEP - pause - BEEP-BEEP-BEEP - pause - BEEP-BEEP-BEEP.

Until today nothing else happened, only the beeps, but today the 3 beeps repetitions started ocurring one after the other with a few seconds of pause between each 3 beeps, after about 15 seconds the computer turned off. I tried to turn it on, but it would just do a reboot loop. I disconnected it from the power for a while and then turned it back on, this time it started and the boot showed something like an update or rewrite fix.

Now the computer boots fine both linux and windows again, but it was turned on for about 10 minutes and I heard the 3 beeeps 3 times again, it didn't shutted it down but I did it to prevent it from happening.

My question is: What are these "3 beeps 3 times" are trying to tell me?

I tried googling about it but everything I found is about computers not booting, and 3 beeps meaning a video card problem. But my beeps are 3 beeps, 3 times. And my computer boots fine and video works just fine.

PS: The beeps appear both in linux and windows. On linux I've checked the CPU and GPU temperature, and they are both at 46 celcious (which is the room temp, we are in summer here) and according to the manuals it's safe temp. I read in another forum that gigabyte beeps only appear because of CPU temperature or FAN failure, but I don't think I have that problem. Also once the beeps happened if I restart the computer the beeps sometimes can be heard before booting into the OS.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:57:01 pm by www »

Just checked the BIOS and

CPU Warning Temperature
CPU Fan Fail Warning
SYSTEM FAN2 Fail Warning
POWER FAN Fail Warning
SYSTEM FAN1 Fail Warning

Has been always disabled, so what is the alarm I am getting?

CPU Smart Fan Control is set to normal and CPU Smart Fan Mode to auto, please let me know if I should post other info.

UPDATE: I found the beep codes here http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-P67A-UD4-B3/Manual/207442?page=106

Does my beep code means "power error" ? because I don't think the beeps come from the other errors.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:52:20 pm by www »

Gatuso

try to clear cmos and than try again

I tried that, the computer boots fine to the OS, and after a while the beeps come back.

My power stabilizer shows that there's low tension on the entire electric network (usually happens here on summer because everyone has their air conditioner turned on). But that device is supposed to stabilize the tension to normal values.

Could this be the reason for the beeps+shutdown ? How could I confirm it?

I have another PC with MSI mobo connected to the same electric network (not the same stabilizer) and this one has no problems.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:57:26 pm by www »

Gatuso

well, try this...
idk how many components do u have connected, but try taking mobo out, disconnect all cables beside the one thats necessary, clear cmos again and try it...
if nothing else it might be some problem with mobo...

EDIT:
also check this:
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:03:53 pm by Gatuso »

well, try this...
idk how many components do u have connected, but try taking mobo out, disconnect all cables beside the one thats necessary, clear cmos again and try it...
if nothing else it might be some problem with mobo...

EDIT:
also check this:
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I will try that.

About the beep codes, for award bios (the one i have) it says that any code other than 1 long 2 short is RAM problem. But can it be a RAM problem if the computer already booted into OS and everything seems to work normally?

Gatuso

it is possible...
just play with it...

im killing myself with my mobo as i cant figure it out why i cant boot it up even if mobo is brand new...

anyway, post it back to see for next step

I also found this about the PSU:

Operating temperature    0°C - 40°C
Protections
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Temperature Protection
Over Power Protection
Short Circuit Protection

I will do some tests once I find my voltimeter, but I couldn't find much technical info and values about the protections anyway..

Gatuso

what brand is psu

Gatuso

well as i told u, try playing with it...
since u have 4 memory slots, try each slot with different memory stick...
i dont think that psu will give u problem, and also how old is it...

i said to myself once, ill never go for gigabyte mobo again... EVER...

id rather go for asrock, msi or asus than gigabyte...