Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with GA-MA790X-UD4P and Video Card

sbi

Problem with GA-MA790X-UD4P and Video Card
« on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
Hello,

I bought the a/m mobo with Gigabyte GV-R435OC-512I and I noticed a high pitch/frequency buzz that comes from somewhere.
I disconnected the hard drive and the buzz was still there. I then took the GPU out and the noise was gone, which means - it has something to do with the GPU.
I then tested the mobo with another GPU and the same noise was there.
Last thing I did was to connect the GV-R435 to the second PCI Express slot and the noise is gone.

Anyone run into this before? Is there a problem with the mobo if the first PCI Express produce such a high pitch noise? The noise is so disturbing that it literally caused me a headache.

Will I be having issues if I am using the second slot with only one card?

Shall I RMA the board?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

sbi

Re: Problem with GA-MA790X-UD4P and Video Card
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:51:23 am »
Any one  ???

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:09:40 pm »
Hi, sbi
From what info I can find on the web,
Is your PSU big enough for your system requirements,
If the graphics card has an additional power connector, is it plugged in,
Clean the gold contacts on the card using a erazer rubber on a pencil, but do not touch the contacts with your fingers,
It seems to be one of the capacitors on the graphics card buzzing with either too much power or too little,
The other reason could be a faulty earth on the mobo, check your mobo fixings  screws are secure,
Of course it could possibly be a duff slot,
My "twopenneth" worth mate,
Let us know how you get on!

sbi

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:56:19 am »
Hi, sbi
From what info I can find on the web,
Is your PSU big enough for your system requirements,
If the graphics card has an additional power connector, is it plugged in,
Clean the gold contacts on the card using a erazer rubber on a pencil, but do not touch the contacts with your fingers,
It seems to be one of the capacitors on the graphics card buzzing with either too much power or too little,
The other reason could be a faulty earth on the mobo, check your mobo fixings  screws are secure,
Of course it could possibly be a duff slot,
My "twopenneth" worth mate,
Let us know how you get on!

Hi Pottypete,

PSU is 530W, technically I only need 300W or less.
The card does not have additional power connector,

Regarding cleaning the contacts - if this was the case, why doesn't it buzz in the second PCI Express slot? Also, as I mentioned, another GPU (different type/manufacturer) also buzzed, so it definitely sounds like either a bad slot, or something else with the mobo.

Thanks.