Official GIGABYTE Forum

Does this sound like a MOBO problem - GA-990FXA-UD5

sdunnin

Does this sound like a MOBO problem - GA-990FXA-UD5
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:15:04 am »
I've randomly had a strange problem with this board where it will completely lose track of the drives connected to the 2 Marvell ports. I've somewhat documented in this thread about a RAID setup problem (unrelated) http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

After losing the drive ports, sometimes but not always will a shutdown bring them back. Also, occasionally when restarting it will also not post (no beeps) and just sit there with no video but powered up (cpu fan spinning, drives powered). Mostly though, when this happens only after an extended power off for several minutes will they come back upon restart.

When the machine is running I have encountered no problems at all. Have also run through several rounds of Memtest with no errors.

I can't really say what the pattern is that triggers this problem other than it is mostly after making BIOS changes, however, just this evening it occurred after the PC would not come out of sleep state and had to be reset.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this? Is it just flakiness with the board / firmware or do you think it is indicative of a failure that I should contact GB tech support for?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Does this sound like a MOBO problem - GA-990FXA-UD5
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:51:10 am »
Hi again,

It would really help if you could post back with your FULL system spec's (CPU, Hard drives, Graphic card, Operating System etc.) as there can be any number of reasons why you are having this issue. Also, which BIOS version are you running?

I did encounter a very similar problem when I first started using this motherboard but my problem turned out to be due to a flaky Graphic Card.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

sdunnin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:58 am »
Had specs listed in linked post but I'll be happy to re-post in this thread.

System Specs:
GA-990FXA-UD5
AMD FX-8150
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900) F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
2 x OCZ Vertex SSD with 1.7 firmware
1 Seagate ST3250318AS 250 GB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Rosewill HIVE-650 650W PSU

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:48 am »
Hi sdunnin, ;)

I want, if possible, a exact model about your 2 x OCZ Vertex SSD with 1.7 firmware ...

Because he exist a many Vertex (like Vertex EX, Vertex, Vertex II, etc...)

Make attention with firmware...
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?92478-Firmware-1.7-updates-for-Vertex-Agility-Solid2-Vertex-Turbo-Vertex-EX

Gloup_Gloup

sdunnin

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:15:25 am »
They are both Vertex Series model OCZSSD2-1VTX120G

Hi sdunnin, ;)

I want, if possible, a exact model about your 2 x OCZ Vertex SSD with 1.7 firmware ...

Because he exist a many Vertex (like Vertex EX, Vertex, Vertex II, etc...)

Make attention with firmware...
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?92478-Firmware-1.7-updates-for-Vertex-Agility-Solid2-Vertex-Turbo-Vertex-EX

Gloup_Gloup

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.

sdunnin

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »
Yes it is, but I'm not really sure where you are going with this or what it has to do with my original question. The Vertex drives are not plugged into the Marvell ports in question and I don't seem to be having any trouble with them at all.

sdunnin

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 04:33:21 am »
So everything had been running fine for about a week. Yesterday after going to wake it up from a Windows sleep state it powered up upon wakeup but had no video and had to reset. Upon restart, poof, drives were missing again.

I powered off the box and left for the day. Later on when I powered up all was well again and is running fine today.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:16 am »
Hi there,
there has been a new F7g BIOS released onto the downloads page for this board on the 25/11/11 here: http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891&dl=1#bios it might be worth updating to this version to see if it cures the problem.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

sdunnin

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:48:42 am »
Will check it out, thanks.

sdunnin

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:04 am »
After updating to F7g first reboot afterwards only came up with 4 cores enabled as the CPU Core Control BIOS setting had been changed to Manual and some of the cores turned off. Setting it to AUTO took care of that.

The next reboot got me at the blank no post beep state at which I had to then power down for 30 seconds and restart. The drives were not missing this time though ;-)

I did not do any timings but my impression was that the boot-up sequence is faster than with F6.

sdunnin

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »
Just checking in to see if other 990FXA owners have experienced any strange problems with their boards.

My setup is working great most of the time and I recently added a second graphics card for an SLI setup. Occasionally (a few of times a month), the board will get "weird". Most commonly the Marvell ports will disappear from the BIOS and once in a while it will just plain fail to post. So far in all cases completely powering off (including turning off PSU) for several minutes will rectify. I can almost always recreate the problem when putting it into a S3 (STR) sleep mode. Also when changing hardware configuration (moving drive connections, adding or removing cards) will also sometimes cause the symptoms to occur.

I have not taken the time to submit a support ticket to GB yet but plan to.