Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can someone please provide some advice in regards to cpu temps?

Can someone please provide some advice in regards to cpu temps?
« on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:39 am »
Hello everyone.  I just purchased a Gigabyte 970A-UD3 motherboard and installed an AMD FX-8120 CPU.  I would really like to know what is a safe idling and full load temperature.

I find that when I boot into windows it shows that my temp while background programs are loading gets all the way to 60 degrees Celsius.  When the PC finally starts to idle it keeps jumping between about 24-32 degrees.  As soon as I start to do anything (web surfing, opening a program, etc..) the temp jumps to about 40 then drops back to around 35 degrees.  Im so paranoid right now that my CPU is going to fry from the heat.  Are the temps that Im experiencing ok?  I havent even ran any games or cpu intense programs because Im afraid of what temps might occur.

I would really appreciate any help that can be given.

Thank you.

Ben

Re: Can someone please provide some advice in regards to cpu temps?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:48:09 am »
Hi "JD"

From what I can find it seems that for your particular CPU, 61c is it's max.

Also what program are you using to find the temps?

You an try out this site for more info;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1197633/amd-fx-8120-throttling-61c-cputin-cpu-temps-below-40c-speedfan-to-change-cputin-temp-with-offset.

Hope this helps.

Ben.

PS Hi & Welcome.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)
AOC 27'
Win 8 pro Full

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:16:55 am »
Thanks for that info Ben. Ive been using Speedfan and the monitor in Easy Tune.  Im wondering if I should get a 3rd party heatsink and fan.  I just thought without overclocking the stock one would be sufficient.  I plan on trying a couple of games tomorrow to see how the temps hold up. I set the temperature monitor in the bios and hopefully it warns me if temps get to high.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
The temperature of the CPU will increase during startup and can rise quite high during this phase. It will fluctuate during use, depending on what you are asking the system to do and als,o on which of the energy saving settings you have enabled.

The stock cooler for AMD is designed to run the CPU around 35-40C and is NOT recommended if you plan on overclocking the processor, where a good 3rd party cooler is the only way to go.

Because your startup temps are rising to the upper limits of the CPU I would be inclined to check that the cooler is seated properly and I would probably replace the thermal paste in case there is an issue there.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dirtydan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »
Those temps are way too high at startup. I have the same mobo, and a Athlon X3 450, Artic freezer pro cpu cooler. Here's my temps at startup.
What case and how many fans do you have?

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »
Im using a Rosewill Challenger case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060

The case has three fans, two exhaust and one input.  The Input is in the front and the exhaust fans are in the back and top.

The high temperature Im getting seems very inconsistent. When I start windows I immediately start speedfan and thats when I see temps around 50 degrees. I no longer see it getting as high as 60 and that might be because I updated the bios.

Right now speedfan is registering a temp of 27 degrees and when I just let speed fan run and let the PC go completely idle it goes down to 22 at times.  Its the full load that Im worried about.  What is an ok temp for full load? I know max temp is 60° Celsius, but what is an ok temp to be at when say playing a game at full load?

Also, with the computer idling at 22° to 27° should I be concerned still while using the stock heatsink and fan.  I would go out and just buy a new heatsink and fan, but the only electronics store local is bestbuy and their selection is pretty bad with heatsinks and fans.

**Edit**

I just played a few minutes of SWTOR and I jumped to windows where I had speed fan running and the temp was at 57°. This is worrying me. I really dont want to damage my CPU and/or Motherboard that I just got.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:53:19 pm by JohnnyDanger »

dirtydan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:57 pm »
The highest my cpu temps have gotten is 43C after running crysis for a half hour. But I have a coolermaster cm690 with 5 case fans, its a wind tunnel. Your cpu runs at a higher voltage I believe, and is known to run hot with the stock fan, might want to invest in a cpu cooler.

RatsAss

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:25 pm »
My temps worried me aswell with the stock cooler.
I added an aftermarket cooler and temps dropped like a rock.

Also the noise from the stock fan disappeared. Very quiet now.

The Best Buy near me has Corsair coolers. A little expensive but good for what you want.
If you cant find one at BB,try Tiger or Newegg.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:30 pm »
Well, I went out and bought a $35 Cooler Master 212 Evo from Frys.  I got it in and the difference is what I consider incredible.  Idling in Windows, with nothing running except speed fan now gives me a temp of 17° to 19°.  I played a little bit of Star Wars The Old Republic. Before I changed the heatsink and fan I actually hit a temp of 62°.  Right now the highest it got was 47°. Right now while viewing some sites and typing this out its holding at 22°.  Those are numbers I can live with. 

Thanks for all the replies. Im glad I got this taken care of.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 05:41:35 am »
Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

I just remembered that years ago I actually installed a "Red Scorpion" CPU cooler for my old AMD set-up due to cooling problems (2008).

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)