Official GIGABYTE Forum

Touch BIOS Loads but doesn't display what it should

Touch BIOS Loads but doesn't display what it should
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »
I have installed Touch BIOS onto a Z68X-UD7 (BIOS version F9) based PC and when i run it, something appears to be stopping it communicating fully with the motherboard.  It will display the voltages and temperatures under PC Health, but if i select overclock, all it displays are the 5 buttons, M.I.T. Current Status, Advanced Frequenc Settings etc.  There is no information below the bottom button, as the screenshots of Touch BIOS working suggest there should be. 

If i press the Advanced Frequency button for example, i just get a screen with an Advanced CPU Core Features button and no other fields.   Pressing that button results in a blank screen.

I have the allow OS to make changes option set to enable in the BIOS and I am now at a loss as to why this is not working.  I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit by the way.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Touch BIOS Loads but doesn't display what it should
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »
Hi

I know that there have been a few issues with TouchBIOS as it is so new I suppose. Try contacting GGTS and let them know your problem. They might be able to help but at least it will make sure they are aware of it.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »
I've experienced exactly the same issues since building my Z68X-UD7-based system back whenever Caterpillar - and have unfortunately found Gigabyte technical support's "support" next to nonexistent. I sent GGTS a number of detailed messages about it with responses coming back that said they couldn't reproduce the problem, and asked me to provide information I'd already enclosed (which suggested to me that they hadn't bothered reading my original messages fully). Not exactly encouraging, especially when  a quick surf round the forums indicates that this particular problem is very common and thus shouldn't have been that difficult to replicate.

However I have found that the latest (B11.1201.1) release has, for the time being at least, appeared to have cured the "disappearing adjustments" problem. If you're running an older build, I'd strongly suggest installing this one and seeing if it helps at all. However, that said, if you haven't noticed it already it's probably worth pointing out how, erm, limited, this software is in other areas. As a system monitoring tool, for example, it's rubbish - thanks to the frequencies and voltages it reports being simply wrong, more often than not. It can't report the CPU voltage properly at all, while at the moment mine's reporting the CPU running at 0.91GHz (it isn't, and can't) and a  memory frequency of, quote "Infinity MHz". Now, I've got some fast RAM in my system, but it ain't *that* quick! ;)

With the best will in the world Dark Mantis, the excuse that TouchBIOS is "new" doesn't remotely wash. In software terms it's not remotely new anymore.  It's been on release for a number of months and is one of the main advertised selling points of Gigabyte's recent products. There's no excuse for this piece of software (or its connection to the underlying BIOS firmware) still being so unreliable.
Z68X-UD7-B3/i7 2600K
8GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133
EVGA 560Ti448/Corsair AX850
Storage - loads
Custom open frame case & cooling
Win7Ultimate64/WinXPProx86

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:07 am »
With the best will in the world Dark Mantis, the excuse that TouchBIOS is "new" doesn't remotely wash. In software terms it's not remotely new anymore.  It's been on release for a number of months and is one of the main advertised selling points of Gigabyte's recent products. There's no excuse for this piece of software (or its connection to the underlying BIOS firmware) still being so unreliable.

I would have to agree and I didn't mean it as an excuse just an observation. I have seen many such transgressions not just with Gigabyte either I might add. It seems that in this industry you can say anything without it necessarilly being accurate when it comes to sales and advertising. The Marvell fiasco of 18 months or so back with the SATA3 6GB/s was a great example. Industry wide, it caught out everybody and I wonder how many people bought motherboards on the promise of that.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 10:22:16 am »
Well,

I have had a reply from Gigabyte tech support, basically giving me a mass of screenshots and descriptions of how they have got their version of my setup working fine.  You will have to forgive my lack of gratitiude, but showing me that their setup works does absolutely nothing for my problem.  It gives the impression of being an attempt at telling me that i must be mistaken and that my Touch BIOS works perfectly?

You might have gathered that i am not overly impressed and I have now unistalled the software and written it off as a bad idea.

Thanks anyway
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:24:07 am by Caterpillar »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 10:29:58 am »
On the contrary, I think the detailed answer was very good and should help your case very much. I mean if you do exactly as they suggest (the same as they have done) and then at the end it still doesn't work properly you have a good case for RMAing the hardware and there cannot really be any argument as you will have done exactly as directed.

Anyway Happy Christmas and good luck with your problem.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:16:28 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 01:13:52 pm »
"done exactly as directed"?  Are you sure you read the same reply that i did?

In an earlier post, I was asked to check the version of Touch BIOS that i am using, whether i had overclocked in BIOS setup and whether i have tried the Asia mirror for the download.   Why that would make any difference is beyond me, but i tried it anyway.

After that, their final reply was a load of screenshots of them proving that their setup works, with no further suggestions as to how I could solve my problem.  There was certainly no mention of an RMA.  Either way, i have no intention of disassembling my rig to RMA the motherboard, when all else appears to work fine, indicating that this is more likely to be a problem with buggy software.

Like i said, i've uninstalled Touch BIOS, so Gigabyte Technical Support have no need to put themselves out any further.  Not that they did in the first place.

Have a good christmas yourself.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:39 pm »
Dark Mantis, apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but, just for the record, would you be able to tell us whether you have any direct relationship/comm channel with Gigabyte, or receive any financial, or product-related consideration from them for moderating this forum?

Having posted further up that I hoped the latest TouchBIOS build had fixed this "disappearing parameters" issue (and indeed it has behaved itself on my system for a number of weeks) I opened it tonight to find that, again, a raft of settings have simply disappeared from the application. This is in a context where my system has been rock stable and I haven't had to change any BIOS settings for ages.

I'm afraid Caterpillar makes a perfectly good point: it seems totally irrelevant for GGTS to send screenshots of their bench system to prove that their own iteration of TouchBIOS is currently functioning properly. They should be far more interested in the screenshots and other info that users have sent them showing the application misbehaving, and trying to find a fix for it, than trying to claim the problem doesn't exist. As far as encouraging Caterpillar to follow the screenshots, bottom line is that it shouldn't be necessary for end users to do anything other than install the application and run it. If it needs user-level tinkering to run on some configuration or other, that's a sign of immature/buggy product.

Back when I last contacted GGTS I was told that they couldn't reproduce this issue. It is clear that at the time I was far from the only person experiencing it, and it's even clearer now. Annoyingly, as a hardware/firmware developer myself I probably have the expertise and would have been happy to work with them to help diagnose it (and said so in my support request), but the responses I got left me with the feeling that the comprehensive info I took the time to collate and send simply wasn't read. I daresay others have been left feeling similar.

If it's happening out in the wild, on multiple installations,  it simply isn't acceptable for technical support to claim that they can't reproduce it and stop there. They should either be trying harder to reproduce it on the bench, or contacting the affected users and trying to gather more detail on what's going on. You never know they might turn up some common factors on the misbehaving systems.

Have to say that while the construction and general operation of this board are excellent, the BIOS quirks (both TouchBIOS' problems, and the horrible power management  bugs), and the (inadequate) response of technical support to these issues has, so far, been immensely disappointing, to the point where this aspect alone would push me in the direction of another manufacturer next time I'm buying. It's also left me thinking a couple of times about rejecting the board as defective.

If you do have any direct comms with the firm, a word in the right shell would probably be worthwhile - and no doubt welcomed by frustrated board owners.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:41:14 pm by Citizen Crazed »
Z68X-UD7-B3/i7 2600K
Storage - loads

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »
Dark Mantis, apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but, just for the record, would you be able to tell us whether you have any direct relationship/comm channel with Gigabyte, or receive any financial, or product-related consideration from them for moderating this forum?

Hi

I don't know why you ask but no I don't recieve any remuneration or any other goodies worth mentioning from Gigabyte, and let me tell you it's not for want of trying! Both absic and myself are totally volunteers and apart from runn3R who is the Forum Administrator there is nobody with any commercial or business links on the forum that I know of. Was there a particular reason for asking ?

Communication channels are something I have complained about ever since I came to this forum and my ability to talk to anyone in authority or even otherwise is severely limited so I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for anything to reach someone higher up even in the UK from me. Sorry! All my communication has to go through runn3R.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:09:53 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »
I don't know why you ask but no I don't recieve any remuneration or any other goodies worth mentioning from Gigabyte, and let me tell you it's not for want of trying! Both absic and myself are totally volunteers and apart from runn3R who is the Forum Administrator there is nobody with any commercial or business links on the forum that I know of. Was there a particular reason for asking ?

Of course. In some other manufacturer-supported forums, there are either bona-fide company employees or, via the other methods I asked about, some moderators/power users operate on a similar level - with exactly the sort of direct comms links I was asking about. This can sometimes result in a quicker response to emerging issues than using other technical support platforms - and, unfortunately, it can also result sometimes result in a slower response to problems, because individuals receiving some level of support from the manufacturer decide not to provide full disclosure on emerging issues so as not to risk biting the hand that feeds. I was asking because I didn't know what the situation was here and knowing informs my view of Gigabyte's customer-facing operation as a whole.

Communication channels are something I have complained about ever since I came to this forum and my ability to talk to anyone in authority or even otherwise is severely limited so I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for anything to reach someone higher up even in the UK from me. Sorry! All my communication has to go through runn3R.

Thanks for explaining, even though the answer isn't necessarily what I'd hoped. Seems that you guys can't get through to the manufacturer, and, from personal experience, the recognised technical support method ain't that hot either. That isn't good.:(
Z68X-UD7-B3/i7 2600K
Storage - loads

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »
Yes I know what you mean as I used to do a similar thing at Asus before coming to Gigabyte and it was much easier to talk to tech staff and the higher echelons.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:27:17 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB