Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P31-DS3L - Not detecting SATA 2 HDD with XP SP2

GA-P31-DS3L - Not detecting SATA 2 HDD with XP SP2
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »
Hi,

I am ready to throw my computer out of the window for what is most probably my own fault, here is the story:

I am trying to install XP SP2 on my Seagate 1TB hard drive, I already have been using XP on another SATA HDD for about 3 years and its getting old so wanted to do a fresh install with a new XP disk and COA.

I plug in my new hard drive and take out the old so now I have this and a CD/DVD drive connected via SATA on my motherboard, run the windows XP CD which is fine until I hit the ENTER button to start the windows install as its says it cannot find my hard drive?? The HDD is present in the BIOS so I know the motherboard has picked it up but not XP.

I never had a problem when I installed it last time as the motherboard and windows picked it up and installed no probs!! There is loads of info flying around the internet about XP not being able to see SATA drives and you need to install the drivers via a floppy or make a custom CD with the drivers built in however since it worked last time I installed XP I assume my motherboard settings are correct regarding the IDE emulation (Of course I could be wrong)

I just don’t know what else to try as I have tried pretty much all of the settings and still nothing...

I have posted some images below for you to see my BIOS screens (Sorry for the poor quality)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as I am truly stuck and need to try and solve this fairly rapidly!

If you need anymore info please jsut say and I will do my best to provide it

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:56:05 pm by adz6794 »

Re: GA-P31-DS3L - Not detecting SATA 2 HDD with XP SP2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:24 am »
Just to give you a little update, I tried connecting the HDD to my work computer which is a Dell desktop running XP and using SATA 2 and the windows installation disk would still not pick it up??

The HDD is not brand new but was used for surveillance recording previously, do you think that it is just faulty and that maybe the reason why Windows won’t find it??

If so I will just bite the bullet and buy a brand new drive although they are not cheap at the moment!!

Any input is greatly appreciated

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:10:17 am »
Hi adz6794,

The problem might be that the drive needs to be reformatted or have the existing partition deleted before it will be recognised. Have you tried doing this?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »
Hi absic

I have not tried doing this yet, what is the simplest way to do it?

Cheers