Official GIGABYTE Forum

Question about bent/broken pins on Intel Socket 1155

Question about bent/broken pins on Intel Socket 1155
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
Hi there,
 I purchased a Gigabyte motherboard from Eclipse Computers in Coventry (stay away from them!) last Friday. When I got home I found some broken and bent pins so I took it back to the store on Monday. They refused to do anything so I am going back today along with a copy of my consumer rights. These say if it's less than 6 months old it's up to the store to prove the item wasn't faulty when it was sold, over 6 months and it's up to me. It's obviously less but I know Eclipse and they will try to get out of doing anything if they can so I have a question:
Has anyone ever known 1 single CPU socket pin to get spun round 180 degrees (just spun round, not bent, not broken, perfect apart from facing the wrong way) while leaving every single pin around it where it should be and in the condition it should be, from incorrect installation of the CPU? Or even from dropping the CPU on it for that matter? (Not that I did either)

My view is that those pins are far too small and close together for something as big (relatively speaking) as the CPU itself to only damage 1 while leaving others around it in perfect condition, especially to damage one in a way that would require a sideways force.

Many thanks, and speedy answers would be great as I'm heading out in a few hours.

(And I'm already trying various routes to get this sorted, I've contacted Gigabyte but haven't heard back, I guess Xmas backlog, and I've also contacted Consumer Direct but again no response yet. Next step is letters to Eclipse and probably a chargeback through the bank.)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Question about bent/broken pins on Intel Socket 1155
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:30:36 am »
Hi and welcome.

These CPU socket pins are very easy to damage and there have been very many cases of this on the forum. Of course it is hard to prove once taken away from the store that it was their fault and not something you have done.

Did you find the bent pins just on an initial checking of the board before installation ?

I wouldn't think that  a single pin would be possible to be bent by installation of the CPU, especially turned 180 degrees if that is what you are describing.

I assume that this motherboard was purchased in the proper box and untouched prior to being bought ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:31:35 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:02 pm »
Hi and welcome.

These CPU socket pins are very easy to damage and there have been very many cases of this on the forum. Of course it is hard to prove once taken away from the store that it was their fault and not something you have done.

Did you find the bent pins just on an initial checking of the board before installation ?

I wouldn't think that  a single pin would be possible to be bent by installation of the CPU, especially turned 180 degrees if that is what you are describing.

I assume that this motherboard was purchased in the proper box and untouched prior to being bought ?

Yes I found them before instalation. The store said they would have checked the socket before selling it (I assume when it first arrived) however that doesn't mean 1) they actually did or 2) wouldn't sell it anyway. This store apparently has a reputation for selling things they know are faulty and then refusing to do anything when customers bring things back. When I asked them on Monday to prove it wasn't sold to me like that they just said "We wouldn't have sold it like that"

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know what I'm doing when it comes to building a PC. It just seems to me that to damage one pin that way but leave everything around it in perfect condition would be almost impossible unless you were actually trying to do it.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:46 pm »

If they sold you a M/B with the seals not intact..... there in breach of Gigabytes sales policy I would have thought.

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:10:16 am »
Sorry to hear about your plight, hope things work out for you.

I have learned the hard way insomuch that I now have the salesperson open up the box in front of me & check all components.

As DM said, the pins are easily damaged, but to be turned 180 degrees would require tweezers methinks.

I just can't see how the CPU could have caused this.

Ben.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
i7 2600 (4.00GHZ)
Ripjaws X 2@8GB XL (1.7V)
Kingston Blu Hyper 2@2GB (1.7V)
Corsair TX 650
HD 6870 1gb
blu ray + dvd
1T wd hdd
500gb WD hdd
Gigabyte Armor+MX case
Noctua air cooling (4 fans)