Official GIGABYTE Forum

Video interference GA-880GM-UD2H

Video interference GA-880GM-UD2H
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »
I'm using the onboard VGA controller on the GA-880GM-UD2H (rev.1.4) board, with Windows 7 x64 SP1, to run a Lacie CRT monitor. At certain resolutions and refresh rates I get somewhat random horizontal lines zipping across the screen. The horizontal line activity is definitely connected with computer activity, the number of lines increases when the mouse is moved or during hard drive access.

The zipping lines show up at 1600x1200 resolution at refresh rates above 70 Hz. At 70 Hz and below the picture is fine. Curiously, At resolutions ABOVE and BELOW 1600x1200 there are no lines even at refresh rates as high as 100Hz. So it's a very specific band in which I have the problem. Right now, I just run the monitor at 1792x1344 at 85 Hz and the picture is fine. Unfortunately, 1600x1200 is my prefered resolution and I'd love to be able to use it.

I thought it might be a problem with the motherboard, but I tried a second mobo and had the exact same problem.

The lines are not visible in a screen capture, so it seems like it might be noise that is spilling into the analog video circuit. I don't know if an improved driver could filter out such noise. I'm running the newest ATI driver (ver 8.7 I think) and I've tried reinstalling it a couple of times without success. I've also messed with my memory speed changing it from 1600 to 1333, as well as VGA clock speed and that hasn't made any difference.

Has anyone else seen this?

The system specs are:

GA-880GM-UD2H (rev 1.4)
Phemon II X4 840
8 GB Corsair XMS3 (2 x 4GB)
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA
Windows 7 x64 SP1

and the monitor is a CRT Lacie electron 22 blue IV

Thanks for your help!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Video interference GA-880GM-UD2H
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »
Hi there,

not come across this myself but it might be worthwhile going to the ATI website here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx and running the free scanning tool to detect your hardware and see if there is a newer driver there for your system.

Just click on the link under the heading Automatically Detect and Install on the right hand side of the web page to install and run the detection software through your browser.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:30:47 am »
It is not something I have come across in the past either. I have seen intreference on a CRT caused by many things but never quite as specific as this. Have you tried a new cable ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »
Unfortunately the cable is molded in and I can't try a different one. If there was a short in the cable I would expect it to so up at all resolutions. I thought it might be possible that the cable was picking up radio noise from the PC. I tried to test for this by adjusting the VGA clock speed and/or memory speed with the thought that adjusting those would change the emitted radio frequency and the resolution or refresh rate at which this noise was observed would also change. But that didn't happen.

The little scan lines continued to only show up at 1600x1200 at refresh rates above 70Hz. So I suppose it could still be RF emitted from some other part of the computer, but I think having enough RF noise spill out of the case to affect the monitor like this must be against some regulations somewhere - so I kind of ruled that out.   

This led me to think that the noise is coming from inside the PC circuitry since it can be clearly linked with computer activity. It's quite interesting actually, certain activities will repeatedly produce the same noise pattern. For instance, inside the Catalyst control panel clicking on certain items (though I don't remember exactly which ones, I'll have to check) will always produce a quick series of closely packed grouped lines that will move down the screen, it lasts about 1/2 second, then the system returns to more random lines zipping around. Other events have similar (but different) results. And most oddly, running the Freestone video stability test removes almost all the lines. It's weird.

This is a photo studio computer that is not usually hooked up to the internet, so I've been updating things manually, but I'll be able to get the machine online this Thursday so I'll check the AMD site to see if they come up with a newer video driver, or who knows maybe windows update will change something that will make this go away.

I'm going to attach a flat panel monitor to the board as well and see if I can make that do anything funky.

I'll keep you posted.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »
I have confirmed it is a driver / software problem. I booted the PC with an Ubuntu Live CD and the video driver on the CD could set the display to 1600x1200 at 85 Hz with no video artifacts whatsoever.

So it should be fixable. The bad news is that driver updates I've installed so far haven't fixed it. Windows updated the video driver to version 8.850. But the problem persists. Then I installed the latest AMD Catalyst ver 11.12, which I think installed driver version 8.911 and that didn't fix it either. However, there were a number of problems with that installation (parts of the Catalyst Control Center were broken), so I'll have to go back and try that again.

In anycase, it seems that this is not a Gigabyte problem and I'll have to start talking to AMD.

Thanks for your replies and if I do find an updated driver that works I'll update this thread.