Official GIGABYTE Forum

help with choosing memory for GA-880GMA-USB3

mascott

Re: help with choosing memory for GA-880GMA-USB3
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »
Thanks for the tips teknology9 did not relise i had to update the bios to F3 for my cpu to work  >:( .Think i may have a problem now as i do not have another cpu to use to update my bios and  i think i need to have one on the MB to do this, is that correct? or can i just use the cpu i bought and update my bios with that? if i can,t guess i will have to find a computer shop local and see if they will do it for me.........And  i was going to upgrade me psu for when i bought a new graphics card as the one i am useing now is nearly 2 years old and would not like to risk damaging my nice shiny new pc lol but i should be fine for now as i only got a old 4650 at the moment  :) .............ps finaly got a email today to say they have finaly going to deliver my MB next week YAY!! will keep you posted on how i go with my first pc build, thanks again for all your help and tips has made it a lot easy for this noob to build his first pc
My first pc build
CPU- PHENOM II X960T,MB- GA880GMA-USB3,CPU COOLER COOLER,ASTER GEMIN ll SF524,MEMORY 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RUNNUNG AT 1333mhz 9.9.9.24 CL9,GPU-SAPPHIRE HD6770,HD-WD 500GB BLUE,PSU CORSAIR-VX450,DVD DRIVE-LITE ON IHAS 124-19, CASE ANTEC VERIS REMOTE BLACK,OS WINDOWS 7 PRO

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 06:55:56 pm »
Usually you would need a supported CPU to allow you to update the BIOS.

That said, you might be lucky and find that your motherboard shipped with the F3 and the only way of knowing for certain is to try it out. You won't damage the CPU if it isn't supported the only thing that will happen is, the PC won't POST.

If that happens then you will need to get the BIOS updated and the options for that are either a cheap supported CPU (if you can find one for sale), a friend with an AMD system that will let you borrow there CPU or a local PC repair shop.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »
Hi Mascot,

I'll just toss in my two cents here. I'm running a GA-880GM-UD2H with 8 GB of Corsair XMS3. The memory is rated at 1600 CL9 but I've clocked it down to 1333 and tightened the timings to 7-7-7-21. It's running perfectly stable. I've got nothing but good things to say about Corsair RAM right now.

mascott

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 05:08:19 pm »
Hi guys, just a update on me build.......finaly got me motherboard tuesday and tested it to see if my X960t cpu would work on it with bios F2 and guess what?................it worked first time with no problems  :)  :)  :) cant belive i was so lucly that it worked with bios F2 when gogabyte say you need bios F3   to surpport this cpu......As for me memory 8GB of corsair vengence 1600CL that is running at 1333 as expected for this cpu with timings of 99924 at 1.6 volts........will be starting a new thread now as i have a few more question i need to ask about my first new build and thought it would be better to ask them there.......Big thanks for all your help and suggestions has helped this newbie a lot and made the process of building a pc a lot easyer
My first pc build
CPU- PHENOM II X960T,MB- GA880GMA-USB3,CPU COOLER COOLER,ASTER GEMIN ll SF524,MEMORY 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RUNNUNG AT 1333mhz 9.9.9.24 CL9,GPU-SAPPHIRE HD6770,HD-WD 500GB BLUE,PSU CORSAIR-VX450,DVD DRIVE-LITE ON IHAS 124-19, CASE ANTEC VERIS REMOTE BLACK,OS WINDOWS 7 PRO