Official GIGABYTE Forum

Assign a drive letter after the loss of a partition after reinstalling win 7

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Hi all,  ;)

A one days ago, for some reason as stupid as the fact that the sound did not work in my system, I decided to reinstall windows on partion on the C on my hard drive.

I tried of course to fix this sound problem its all sorts of ways, including in the registry of Windows ... But without positive results ...

But my system has several hard drive in AHCI mode in BIOS. I have three (3) disk:
A 300 GB WD Velociraptor - 4 partitions.
Another hard drive of 300 - no partitions - except the primary partition.
And another 500 GB partitioned into 5 partitions.

So I take note of its size and its drive letter before saving all I want to keep the C: partition.

I proceed with the Re-installation of Windows Seven. All is well.

But when I run Explorer.exe to see the contents of my hard drives, it seems to me, it lacks a partition. Oh s*** ... horror ...

Effectively missing the old partition D. As everyone knows ... D is normally the second system's hard drive.

In the ''old systeme'', drive D'' was the 300GB disk with only the primary partition.

In the new system, drive D is the partition of the Velociraptor.
I have only one model. D is the 100 MB partition that Windows automatically create.

So I see a 100 MB partition D Who was before a 300 GB All chock huh.  ??? ??? :o :o

I was very afraid that Windows has deleted an entire hard drive completely.
It seemed so strange that I decided to go in Windows Administration tools...

and then double-click to Computer Management. I check all disk appears...

Oh surprise, I saw a big 300GB disk. But that same drive was not apparent, visible with Explorer.exe in Windows.

Well wow, I say, I stay calm and think ...

So I did right click with the mouse on the disk of 300 GB and I selected the option''Assign a drive letter to drive''.

Sorry for not having taken a photo, but it is a very similar option I have chosen with the mouse.

On IExplorer immediately appears a new hard drive with the drive letter that I had chosen.

Pfiew, I check the contents of this''new drive'' ...
It actually contains what was in the old partition D.
Well, at least I have not lost. Under much pressure, a large stress less.

An adventure that ended well after all.

=======================

This Topic is not an issue ... but the information I wanted to share.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:17:59 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
Or you could reassign the drive letters, using the method that got you the "old drive d" back. Its a bit fiddly though, and is recommended before installing anything (unless, you have only installed stuff to the windows drive/partition?)
Nothing to see here, move along....

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
It would be better to not allow Windows to create the 100MB partition anyway so you shouldn't get into that position anyway.  You need to configure this when you are running the Windows install routine. ;)  Courtesy of absic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:30:18 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Gloup_Gloup

It would be better to not allow Windows to create the 100MB partition anyway so you shouldn't get into that position anyway.  You need to configure this when you are running the Windows install routine. ;)  Courtesy of absic.

Hi Dark Mantis,  ;)

I understand what you write... but I do not remember how to ... for applicate your suggestion... sorry...
if you have a totaly infos ''how to'' ... this is good for me and other forum's members ...

The strange situation... When I Reinstalled Windows, before he exist a partition of 100 Mo on my disk (named K:) So Why Windows not use it for new install? I do not know...

EDIT01: When Windows is installed, it automatically rebuilt the partition of 100 MB and he will erase the old partition of 100 MB

EDIT02: Of course, I have a posibility to use Diskpart in Dos Windows, by execute cmd in Run (Execute) bottom..

Gloup_Gloup

Or you could reassign the drive letters, using the method that got you the "old drive d" back. Its a bit fiddly though, and is recommended before installing anything (unless, you have only installed stuff to the windows drive/partition?)

Hi cchaos,  ;)

How to use a installed stuff to the windows drive/partition? When I am install a new ''Windows Install'' ? By a Live CD or Live DVD? ... And again, it will be after installing Windows. So it is too late ...

In fact, the partition or disk is renowned for this case, it is not a problem.
But is that when reinstalling Windows, this partition or hard drive has disappeared ''from the map''. It's serious ...

I'm sorry, my English is not good. Maybe help me rephrase your message. Or tell me otherwise.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:31:43 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis

Hi Dark Mantis,  ;)

I understand what you write... but I do not remember how to ... for applicate your suggestion... sorry...
if you have a totaly infos ''how to'' ... this is good for me and other forum's members ...

The strange situation... When I Reinstalled Windows, before he exist a partition of 100 Mo on my disk (named K:) So Why Windows not use it for new install? I do not know...

EDIT01: When Windows is installed, it automatically rebuilt the partition of 100 MB and he will erase the old partition of 100 MB

EDIT02: Of course, I have a posibility to use Diskpart in Dos Windows, by execute cmd in Run (Execute) bottom..

Gloup_Gloup

Hi cchaos,  ;)

How to use a installed stuff to the windows drive/partition? When I am install a new ''Windows Install'' ? By a Live CD or Live DVD? ... And again, it will be after installing Windows. So it is too late ...

But is that when reinstalling Windows, this partition or hard drive has disappeared ''from the map''. It's serious ...

I'm sorry, my English is not good. Maybe help me rephrase your message. Or tell me otherwise.

Gloup_Gloup

Hi Gloup_Gloup sorry for the delay. I cannot say this was my idea as absic told me but here it is anyway.

When I install the OS onto an SSD I go through the initial install process then when Windows asks to create the partition I make sure there is only one partition on the drive (I do not allow Windows7 to create the 100 Mb System Reserved bit).

To do this go through the process of installing Windows7 then, when it comes to the disk creation/partition screen go advanced. Allow Windows to create the partition and it will automatically create the 100 Mb one too. Then delete the larger partition and then extend the 100 Mb partition to use the whole drive.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks

Hi cchaos,  ;)

Gloup_Gloup
What I meant was make sure you dont install firefox  or anything like that (ie it is just a clean install) as far as windows is concerned
Nothing to see here, move along....

Gloup_Gloup

Hi Gloup_Gloup sorry for the delay. I cannot say this was my idea as absic told me but here it is anyway.

When I install the OS onto an SSD I go through the initial install process then when Windows asks to create the partition I make sure there is only one partition on the drive (I do not allow Windows7 to create the 100 Mb System Reserved bit).

To do this go through the process of installing Windows7 then, when it comes to the disk creation/partition screen go advanced. Allow Windows to create the partition and it will automatically create the 100 Mb one too. Then delete the larger partition and then extend the 100 Mb partition to use the whole drive.

Hi Dark Mantis,  ;)

Okay I understand when windows ask to me choose a Hard Drive or partition on the Hard Drive ... I go to Option advanced and I have a posibility to Delete, Format, Rezize a partition ... ok I have this infos because I use it many time...

But when you said : Then delete the larger partition and then extend the 100 Mb partition to use the whole drive.  This is new for me... Because normaly I delete the small partition of 100Mo and extend the large partition... okay I use this new tweak , next time...

And I unplug, disconnect all drives... But I keep one drive for OS system... So I am sure, the Windows install not make a problem in the other Hard Drive.

What I meant was make sure you dont install firefox  or anything like that (ie it is just a clean install) as far as windows is concerned

Hi cchaos,  ;)

Thanks for the reformulation, is more clear now...

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:44:55 am by Gloup_Gloup »